MaddoxBay

Thanks Tackle Underground...

Thanks for all the great information on this site. :D

I made my first crankbait this last weekend and I am happy with the results for my first bait.

Thanks to blackjack for the dbait pattern and Skeeter for more information.

I made a dbait replica with a bluegill photo finish out of balsa and weighted it with a ? egg weight and used stainless steel cotter pins as the hook hangers and line tie. There is a small worm rattle added and itsfinished off with #4 Gamakatsu EWG hooks.

I was scared that it wouldn?t work well or if it would even float? Once I sealed the wood I gave it a float test and was happy to see 1/3 of the back exposed. My next concern was how it would perform in the water.

First cast into the pond?

A slight pull to the right, easy fix.

Second cast, a good straight retrieve with a noticeable thump in the rod tip from the action. About halfway through the retrieve and BAM? FISH ON!!! Not bad at all a small 1.5 pound bass.

It starts digging instantly and at very slow retrieves it has a wide wobble with a little roll/rock left and right. With a faster retrieve the bait has a good vibration action to it.

With a 5:1 reel I couldn?t get the bait to act up at all with a fast retrieve. I am sure I can get more out of it with a smaller line. It was running about 3 - 4 feet using 15# big game at the time.

I am very happy with the bait and I am already working on three more d replicas and a new design that is very similar to the Bagley Fat Cat.

I will try to get some pictures up soon.

Thanks,

Maddoxbay