gordy9722

My First Lure!

Thanks for the comments guys. Jim: I just tested it today and it runs great (has a really nice wobble to it.) Thanks to all for such a great site...it helps to learn from other people who know what they're doing. And also, ignore GICTS, he is just a friend of mine who's going to be a bit unhappy when he has to buy all of his lures for our Canada trip next year :wink:

gordy,

Congratulations! I think your lure looks great.

I've yet to finish my first lure. I have shaped three minnow type lures from balsa and two poppers from basswood but I've been too chicken to paint them bacause I know I can't paint worth a darn.

Thanks for sharing. It just might be the push I need to finish my lures!

--IslandBass

Hey Island Bass...if you are making the baits for yourself don't be too worried about finding a "perfect paint job". The truth is that most of the lures we build are for fisherman, not fish. I'm willing to bet you could catch a whole bunch of bass or musky with with a totally unfished lure...bare wood. I have steelhead baits that catch a ton of fish and then entire back half of the lure is nothing but plastic...the paint has been worn entirely off of them. For your first baits try solid white with a black head, solid white red head, and solid black white head. If you toss in a mostly red bait with these combinations you will probably catch as many fish as anyone else. The most amazing thing happens when you put the clear-coat on (Etex or Devcon), regardless of the paint, the lure just "comes alive".

RM

Island: I agree with Riverman on starting out simple if your not comfortable with painting. To me I just like seeing the paint job, i don't think it makes a difference if your paint job isn't perfect, if it swims like a fish and looks like the same bait in the lake, you'll catch fish. One thing i found out is that if you mess up, just sand it down and repaint it until your happy with it. :D Practice makes perfect!