kvillebasser

Gallery Photos

I just posted two baits to the gallery. I titled them a very non-creative Bait 1 and Bowman Bait 2.

I'm confused about painting gills on these baits. Bait 2 has a gill painted on, but I'm afraid to paint the gill on baits colored like bait 1 because I do not want to over-do it with the paint job.

Neither bait has scales. Mainly because I like a fade rather than scales.

Do you guys have any recommendations on painting gills? Or if I should just quit worrying about it and leave them off?

First I would like to commend you on your craftmanship. The baits look great. Secondly Gill plates are a personal preference to me I usually paint a bunch of the same pattern and paint some with gill plates and some without. I let the fish dictate what they want. On some days the fish will eat the non gill plate bait and not touch the one with the gill plate and the next day do the complete opposite. If I am panting baits for customers I always ask if they want them(Most Do) I don't know if that solves your dilemma but that is what I do!

I saw your cranks in the gallery. The photos turned out fine, and the lures look good too. Let us know how the fish like 'em.

I agree with Blackjack on the gillplate thing, paint some with, and some without...lots of succsessful commercial lures don't even offer them on certain color patterns.

Those are some very nice looking baits. You have done a good job. On the gills....... I don't paint them on mine unless someone requests them.

To me it is just another thing to worry about. I do shoot some red on the chin of the lure. If red is what they are looking for, there is enough there to get their attention.

Skeeter

I sure appreciate the compliments on the baits guys, and I appreciate your input on the gills. I've got some more ideas on painting the gills, and when I get a night or two to paint some up, I'll post them for everybody to see.

I gave away a couple of baits to my barber, a couple of baits to a friend of mine, and a couple of baits to a man I work with. My barber called me the other night and said he'd caught a 5lb 3oz largemouth at High Rock with my bait the day after I gave it to him. The other guys have caught several 1lb to 3lb fish. There's nothing like somebody catching fish on a bait that you make!

Kville...Beautiful job on the baits!!..I agree with everyone else on the gill slits,don't worry about it unless it's requested.I do like Skeeter does and generally add alittle red to the throat anyway.

I bet you were all puffed up after those phone calls...I know I always am!!

I enjoy the feeling of someone ELSE catching fish on my creations more than I enjoy catching fish on them!!..Nathan

No doubt! The barber is the way to go!

The day after my barber caught his fish, I had a note on my door when I got home from a guy who left his phone number and asked that I call him about some baits. I called the guy, and he said he'd seen my barber and saw my lures and wanted to come by that night and buy 6! I asked him if he'd tried one of my barber's lures? He said no, he'd just had never seen a finish like that before and really liked it. I told him since he'd never tried them, I'd rather give him one, let him try it, and if he likes it, we could talk about buying some then.

I might want to drop one or two by the VFD too! :)