mitcheal

Polymer clay spoons and cranks

:rolleyes: I recently came across some sites where polymer clay was shaped and formed into spoons and small cranks complete with imbedded hooks and or wiring harness and then baked in the oven. This changes the clay into a hard plastic which can be painted, polished, or textured (before baking). Wondering if anyone has tried this stuff?

Mitcheal

From the muddy banks of the Detroit River.

Nope no prize. :censored:

Polymer clay gets kinda brittle after baking, so unless your targetting small fish like panfish I dont think your lure will last very long.

It is however great for prototyping lures for molds, especially soft plastic lure molds.

These guys at the site your referring to are only in it to make a buck. They sell overpriced instructional cd's that will show you how to make lures that look decent on a shelf or a scrapbook, but I wouldnt take em to the water with me.

I tried the clay to see if I could make a clay popper float. while it did, it wasnt nowhere near durable, even with 1/8" walls. I entered the lure anyway about 15 minutes before cutoff & took 1st place in the topwater/crank division. Never saw a prize, congrats or anything from the company involved.

:lol: Thanks for the comeback. I like to carve ice spearing decoys, and was sort of thinking along those lines with the stuff, although I certainly am no sculptor. The lures on the website are hideous at best and I was a bit leery. You guys confirmed my suspicions. I appreciate your taking the time.

If you ever get up here to Lake Erie, look me up for some great walleye, perch, musky and smallie fishing as I run a charter service. Come in April for the Detroit River fishery and I can almost guarantee a walleye near 10lbs. although I am usually booked solid then, I can slip special people in. Just bring your own 1/2oz. to 3/8 oz. jigs. I'll supply everything else.

Thanks for the invite. B)

The Decoys your wanting to make, theyre of the same species you're targetting right?

what I'm saying, is that the decoys arent meant to be attacked like prey?

if not then try the clay & see how it works for ya.

if you go thicker than 1/4 inch, do it in layers & try not to overcook the clay, the longer you cook it the more brittle it becomes. the instructions say 15 minutes for each 1/4" of thicness, but 10 will work.

Yeah the contest submissions there are a piece of work, I didnt even tell anyone I won. Nathan stumbled across my name & called me out. :oops:

:D keep us posted if you try it