IslandBass

Ready to Use DevCon 2 Ton Epoxy - But I have some questions

I have gotten to the point where I am ready to apply DevCon to my lures but since I am new to luremaking I just need to know:

1) I plan on applying it by brush. Is there a brush best suited to applying devcon? For example, nylon bristles, sponge brush, on one with fine hairs?

2) What do you use to remove the DevCon from the brush? Acetone? Turpentine, Paint Thinner? I think Acetone should work but just in case I'm mistaken, it would be good to know what you guys use.

Any and all of your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I want to thank all of you for the awesome posts that have helped me along the way.

IslandBass

Besure you have the Devcon 2 Ton, 30 min. epoxy.

Testor's makes a small brush 1/4" wide ( its in the model

car paint area at Walmart for 97 cents)

Mix the Devcon thoroughly using something other

than a piece of wood, Use a nail or plastic stirrer.

Apply evenly and firmly over the entire bait.

You will have to rotate the bait for 15-20 minutes

either by hand or some other method.

Let it sit for several hours (8-12) and it should

be good to put the hardware on.

You may clean your brush with Acetone.

Coley

Coley is right on with all the procedures so follow that and you will have no problems.

I personally use the inexpensive craft brushes from the dollar store. I think they sell them like 20 to a sleeve for a dollar. I dont want to have to clean the brushes after Im done using the epoxy. Too Much hassle. SO I USE It... and LOSE it! These brushes work just fine. Only thing you have to be careful with though which to me is no big deal.... Since the brushes are el-cheapo's, sometimes I might get a bristle shed. But you can pick it up right away and fix it before the epoxy cures. I have had that happen twice, but beware is all I can say. It is much less aggravating than cleaning for me.

As far as getting a cleaner..... like Acetone... with the el-chepos.. you dont need it! Its one less thing you got to buy!! When your first starting out, you dont need to buy a lot of things. Remember one more good point. The easier you make your steps, with less work in cleanup you have to do, the more you can concentrate on making lures, learning and fine tuning your creations. Just My honest opinion though. Cody

I use disposable brushes also. I get them from the craft section in Wally World. I think I got like 25 for $1.97. I just toss em when Im done. I also use the plastic handle to stir the epoxy and just wipe it off. I have not yet had any bristles shed off but like Cody said, if one comes off just pluck it right off the bait.

Mr B

I use dollar store brushes as well. I pretty much have the counter lady pegged on the days the shipments arrive and I then raid it. They come 25/ pack for a buck, cant beat it. I trash em after every use. As for mixing the epoxy, I use the rounded type toothpicks, a tactic I learned from watching my dad making buck knives as a child. Is good for popping epoxy bubbles as well. If working with a large bait that I need to mix and apply fairly quickly, I'll mix with craft "popsickle" sticks, also from the $1 store, can get 200 for a buck.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

Thanks to everyone! All input is greatly appreciated. I bought some acetone before I read your posts except coleys. I'll give the white vinegar a try and try the disposable route if and when I don't feel like using the acetone.

Well, at least the Mrs. now has a 3 year supply of acetone for her nails too!

--IslandBass