jaime

paint scheme...symmetrical...not symmetrical??

I was fininsh up the bagley db3 last night and was upset that both sides weren't symmetrical. The stripes on one side of the lure were darker, one gill was a little further down, and the kill dot was slightly off center and darker than the other. After letting it sit for awhile, I came back and really looked at it. Yes, there were slight differences but then again these differences can mean the difference between catching or not catching a fish! My thinking is that is a fish sees one side of the lure and doesn't bite then maybe the other side can compel it to do so! anyone have any opinions or experiences with this??

Interesting thoughts. From crankbait experiences, I dont think small details like gills and dots slightly out of symmetry really matter except to the painter. I know bass arent the brightest of creatures when it comes to choosing its food, at times it can be as simple as hit the stump, channel edge or rock and win a prize. In contrast, theres days when they key in on one bait and that bait only. My personal rule of thumb is this on lure paint jobs: If theres anything at all that I dont like about a particular paint job, I fix it. I dont let it slide and hope devcon will help mask the errors.

Do you have pics of both sides of the bait? I bet it will look better to us than you think.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

find two fish in nature that are 100% exact and I will eat them raw. I have a couple baits that are way not symmetrical (store bought) and they seem to produce better than the perfect ones. don't know if it realy would mater at all. heck even our eyes and ears are not 100% in line so I cant see a real fishes gills and spots being exact on both sides.

i don't think it will make a whole loada diffrence in catching fish within the tolerances your talkin about, the only thing that might inhibit it is if you have less confidence in the bait than others, i find that some lures i'm not overly sold on just don't get as much water time as others i know are producers, thats me though, everyone diffrent

tightlines john

Guys, how many times have you heard pro fisherman say they caught their fish on an old ? that the paint was chipped. Pretty is for the fisherman. Take that lure out and fish it and let the fish tell you. Like Kellure said the biggest critic will be yourself. If you really feel uncomfortable with the bait, strip it and re-paint it or put it in the fireplace for kinlin. Better yet, give that bait to a youngster and see how excited he gets.

Tally