NEbassangler

Hands On Instruction? Custom Lure Painting

I have a complete newbie when it comes to this art and wondered if anyone on the board would ever have the time to actually provide hands on instruction? I'd even be willing to pay for your time and travel to where ever you are located.

I'm making my own jigs and that has really enhanced my fishing.

I really want to dedicate the time and cost to learn how to custom paint crankbaits for my own use, experimentation and hopefully fishing success.

I've been a "lurker" on this site for a while and have "dreamed" of being able to produce some of the custom crankbaits that you have posted photos of.

I know that I can't learn to be an expert overnight, but I think that I can accelerate the learning curve much quicker than trying to learn from my own mistakes rather than the techniques of how to start based on someone's sucess and experience.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Are you just wanting to learn how to paint??

Or are you wanting to learn how to make baits??

This site offers a video on making baits and I am sure

painting is in there.

Custom painting comes from picking up the airbrush

and practicing. Experience is the best teacher.

There are some good painters on this site.

It would be cheaper to have someone custom paint your

baits. Or make you a video.

Look at the top of the page, Tim Hughes is one of the best

in the business.

I see some mighty fine paint jobs in the hardbait gallery.

Cullins8 work is superb. And there are several more.

Coley

You've come to the right place, the fellers on here & the TU site will take yrs off the learning curve. Wish it would have been available 12-15 yrs ago. I will offer any help online or offline that I can. Not sure I can make firm plans to head to Omaha anytime soon even though I'd like to :D You can email me direct at bare1005@bellsouth.net... Will be glad to help.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

NEbassangler,

Coley is right on the money. Great painting requires work and practice. It's that simple. If you need help on what types of paints and stuff there is allot of information on the site about paint. Do a search and you will get allot of returns. Wood prep, sealing, priming, thinners, paint, airbrushes, and my specialty Clear Coats are all on here. If you have any doubts on anything bring it here to the board and you will get an answer. As you can see by Kellures reply, there is a friendly bunch of tallented people here on this site that are always willing to help. This is the place...... we Get-R-Done!!

Skeeter

I really am motivated to learn how to paint... I do indeed know Tim Hughes is the king of this art. I just thought that it would be much less steep of a learning curve...from just the fundamentals...on how to proceed, understanding it is experience, trial and error...

I thought learning hands on, like they have rod making classes out west sponsored by some of the tackle retailers -- would make starting to pursue this much less painful and frustrating than taking the more beaten path of learning the "hard way".

Thanks again for the help and encouragement... I guess I just have to "Get-R-Done"

What everyone here has to remember is that Tim has been doing this for allot of years. He has already been through enough failures and probably still has some. There are some on the site that already paint really really well. Their paint jobs couldn't get much better in my opinion. We will help you with getting started, but the rest is practice and tallent. So............ "Get-R-Done"

Skeeter B)

Not to beat this answer like my wife is beating me in court but practice practice practice and practice . I have noticed a decrease in my airbrushing since I didnt use it for a few months . But once again I have started airbrushing every thing in sight in my house . I also found painting something besides lures also helps , paint an odject with dramatic curves on it and try to follow them , it will make the smaller curves of a lure seem like a piece of cake .

If your ever in VA stop by and lets paint some stuff ! I have had many people come over to paint that wanted to try airbrushing and didnt want to buy all the stuff first .

I also found painting something besides lures also helps , paint an odject with dramatic curves on it and try to follow them , it will make the smaller curves of a lure seem like a piece of cake.

Bringing home objects with dramatic curves to paint might get me in trouble, but i have always wanted to try body art :lol::?: :wink: :idea:

I know this post will be off the subject of "Lure Painting"... But I agree with painting other things. I can Air Brush T-Shirts and have made quite a few bucks on the side doing that. Come Christmas time if you want... you can actually make a few bucks for yourself doing it. ( they make great gifts!) That is if the lure making is slow!! As a matter of fact thats exactly how I got into airbrushing! I took on a job of making some T-Shirts for someone. I never used an Airbrush before but I wanted to learn. They needed about 20 of them if I can recall. $15.00 each times 20= $300.00. My $ 200.00 deposit for them got me my 1st Airbrush, a compressor, Paints and shirts. Plus an easy extra $100.00 cash in my pocket! Since then, any time I sell a shirt, other than paints and the shirt... its all profit. So I agree with the PRACTICE-PRACTICE- PRACTICE part! I started off making stencils and freehanding letters. When I got done, you would never have guessed it was my first try at airbrushing. All I can offer is that the principles of the airbrushing are the same no matter what you paint. Only difference is your painting something 2 dimensional versus a shirt thats one dimensional. There are quite a few model builders that are quite excellent at airbrushing their models etc. But it took them time at practicing the craft. Getting the proper flow and what the airbrush will do and controlling it, takes a few pads of Newsprint. I started off making simple dots and simple lines with the air brush... then loops, then long continuous lines, then various lines. I mean again I got lucky first time with the shirts if you want to say.... BUT, I have a Fine Arts Degree... so personally for me it was easy!

Here are a couple of links for you to check out. Read them and do as they say!.....

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

This next one has the index for all the airbrush tutorials. Follow these instructions and practice and you'll be amazed at how you fast you can pick it up!

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/Lindex.htm

Hope that helps! Cody

I already started to read BassNator's links... there also seem to be some good videos covering the fundamentals...

One step at a time and I will be knee deep now in airbrushing stuff!

Oh great the wife will LOVE this one!

She thought making jigs was rediculous! HA! Just wait sweetheart!

Thanks again for all your help and very "real" feedback about the time, expense and effort I am going to invest learning this.

Regards,

Marvin

NEBassangler,

Just grab a brush and give it a go. I have only been doing this since mid-March and can tell you the best way to learn is to just do it and ask questions along the way. You are on the best site to work out the kinks! I still have the very first lure I ever painted and it looks like doo doo. Once you get the hang of actually spraying a lure, the patterns will come in due time. The hardest thing to work out is controlling the spray and only experience cures that.

I learned from Kellure, he showed me once and said "that's how you do it". Never grabbed a brush that day but went home and bought one from Ebay, haven't looked back since!

If nothing else, learning is all part of the fun! Be careful though, it is addictive. Before long you will be walking the aisles of Home Depot looking at band saws, disk sanders, etc. LOL

Be your own artist!!! You never know, your creation and ideas may just be the ticket and you will truely be making custom baits. I couldn't begin to tell you how many mistakes I have made painting cranks, I will tell you that a few of my mistakes have turned out to be great ideas (I think). Even if you make a mistake, you can wipe the bait clean and start over. Until I started painting cranks, I never had picked up an air brush.

If you need help, just ask!! Someone here will answer...........

Tally