TRIPLE C CUSTOM LURES

What are some other good topcoats?

Ok,I think im probably goinig to open up a can of worms here.These guys in this forum are super nice and may I say are really sharp on these subjects,but here I go. There are plenty of other choices for top coats out there.Devcon is probably my last choice followed by Flexcoat,and Envirotex.There are pros and cons to all of them but the epoxy coats ,(only in my opinion have the most cons)Just read all the post here about problems.Anything from yellowing to air holes to uneven coat.If I wanted my lures to last and really endure the riggers of fishing I would use either a Laquer or Urethane base Topcat,But you better be willing to use some thinner for clean up. You want to use the ones with the largest amount of solid particles because they will give you the highest build and shine.You can purchase this at the automotive paint stores but be ready to pay$$$$. 1/2 gallon of the stuff I use is $90.00

I used epoxy for a long time.Let me compare the two.I travel quite alot so I conducted an experiment.I layed a plug coated with Devcon on the dash of my truck(August)along with a plug coated with Rand M RV86.Was gone 10 days.The devcon plug topcoat was yellow and had hairline fractures.The other was like the day I left it there.One day I will tell about the plug I submerged in water for two weeks.Maybe I was doing something wrong when using the epoxy.That is very possible but with the Rand M and PPG I just Spray it and and forget it.Just my honest opinion God Bless you and your family,JP

PS.a good propane or butane tourch will cost $30.00 or so.That will take care of those nasty air bubbles in epoxy.

Is the Rand M RV86 able to be brushed on? I use the Devcon II on my carved baits, but I have been looking for something better for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. The working time of Devcon is too short when topcoating 200 spinnerbaits baits at a time. Too much time is spent mixing the small batches. What is the drying time for the RV86? Is it a two part mix ? Is only one coat needed for coverage? Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds like what I have been looking for. Thanks, Joe

The results Blades had with the Devcon is interesting. Some of you might recall that I put a Devcon covered bait in the window of my truck back in June or so. Well the plug is still there and has now withstood a full summer in Eastern Oregon...I live in the Desert Guys, it's hot here! I would be happy to post pics of the tortured bait if anyone is interested.....pretty boring. Anyway, that bait has taken temps of over 90 degrees (air temp) for literally weeks on end and there may be a "slight" yellowing, no cracking whatsoever. On some of the days that were over 100 degrees I looked at the bait and the Devcon had pulled away from the wood and there was a flex to it, like a bubble. I believe this was a result of the glue below the photo-finish tho. What's interesting though is some of the baits I made a year ago with Devcon that have never seen a minute of sunlight have more yellowing on them than the bait in the window, explain that! Several have far more yellow than I would like to see for a bait that is only a year old.

I have tried FlexCoat and didn't like how thin it went on but some serious builders have told me they very much like it. Devcon is the most friendly to use I think but I have settled on Etex because of its reported longevity.

Jed

Guys I have a question, are we using the epoxy for uv protection or to prevent water intrusion and abrasion resistance??. Personally I'm not really to concerned about my clearcoat yellowing when left in direct sunlight for an extended period of time. How much yellowing can occur while the bait is being fished? Maybe a little on the ride on the deck between spots? I can't be bothered using a product the has high VOC's as I do all of my painting and clearcoating in the basement of my residence. If you are concerned with the epoxy yellowing then topcoat with a UV absorber like Speed Dry UV Acrylic Clear. If I had a heated shop that was not connected to my residence I might be tempted to play with the high VOC stuff. There are a bunch of epoxy manufacturers right here in the US that will custom formulate an epoxy for your particular application. I do use Devcon to seal my plugs but I use another type of epoxy that has been formulated for me. I used to use Crystal Sheen and I was completly happy with that. Alot of the problems associated with epoxy use has to do with improper mixing and not thoroughly cleaning the bait before applying it. When

I can show you some Devcon yellowing but the reasons are there.

Top Lure: 2 yr old. I used the 5 minute Devcon to glue up the lips and you can see the rest which is 30 minute Devcon is still clear.

Bottom Lure: 3 year old. I started off with very cheap slow drying paint and the chemicals/coloring(?) in the paint interacted with Devcon to yellow it. Haven't had any trouble since I switch to rattle-can quick drying stuff.

But I do agree Devcon is a little bit on the brittle side. I can't get Etex here so I can't say anything about it.