jerkbaiter

dremel multi purpose contour sander ??????????

I too have a belt grinder/sander. Mine is a 1" x 42" belt and I use it all the time for rough sanding and some fine sanding. I start out with course belts as they last much longer and wear down quite fast. If you use fine for sanding they clog up real fast and then they burn. Thanks and good luck. Ken Schmitz

If you have trouble with the belt or wheel on a sander clogging you can purchase a rubber block from most woodworking supply houses, some lumber stores, etc. The material is like the crepe on so called crepe sole bottomed shoes that were popular many years ago. The blocks aren't cheap but if you can find an old pair of the shoes, you have enough for a lot of clogged belts. Simply turn on the sander and then pass the rubber block across the belt or disk as you would a piece of wood. Mine works great and really extends the life of my sanding belts.

I use a bench top sander to rough shape my lures, but I hand sand to smooth the curves. The Dremel contour sander has a shape that looks perfect for rounding the sides of a lure.

Someone here mentioned they use sandpaper inside half a piece of PVC pipe. It is the same idea but the Dremel product is powered so it should be much faster. The question is; before I lay down $65, is this a good tool? Is it that much easier and faster than hand sanding?

:D Hi Mallard, I use a belt grinder/sander the most but I do have a dremel. Actually is works pretty good for somethings. When I need to change the sandpaper I use emery cloth or sandpaper backed with duck tape to make it hold up better. To buy the sleeves for the dremel is quite expensive but you can make most of the things yourself. Sure hope this helps and if you have any specific questions please feel free to email me or post away. Thanks and good luck. Ken Schmitz

I also use a belt / disc type sander. I just purchased a Great Planes Sanding Contour Duplicator 5" for finish sanding. So far I have used it on 5 baits and the more I use it and become familar with it the more I like it. I bought 2 of them and glad I did because I use some of the sliders out of one for the other. very inexpensive. Here is the link:

http://www.flyhobbies.com/greatplanescontourdup5.htm

Tally