jerkbaiter

a tool for scales will it work ?

i came across a taxidermy websight with a tool called a Mac-Z-Scaler Texture Roller >>>>> this is the discripition of the tool >>> ( This is the easiest way to add scale texture to the seam on skin-mount fish or to re-add scales to the top and bottom seam on reproduction fish. Smooth on the Apoxie Sculpt, being careful to blend the edges in. Dip the Mac-Z-Scaler into water and roll the tool from the head towards the tail. You now have the seam of the fish completely scale textured with a minimum effort )

i was wondering if anyone has used this tool for adding scales to the top of foil on a foil finish bait

web link >>>>>> http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01001139/

thanks Jack

I have to agree. Jaime's lure is very nice.

Here's a couple scale ideas:

- Visit a craft or scrapbook store. They have little rubber rollers on a handle. These are intended to be used to roll the bubbles/wrinkles out of paper that is being glued to something.

- Make your own scale template. This way you have control over the size and shape. Place your foil on the template and make an imprint with the rubber roller. Then glue the foil to your lure.

- You could use a small (or any size you like) half-round gouge (lathe tool). Roll it into a piece of wood or blank lure body for each scale. Make the rows staggered.

- You might be able to make a cutting tool for a Dremel tool. You could shapen the edge of some tubing. Or you could drill out the end of a nail, then sharpen the edge. Hold the tool at an angle and cut each scale into the template. Be careful, it will propably want to "run away".

- Keep your eye peeled for something that you could use as a scale template. Things like kitchen tools, like a grater might work. I've used the checkering on a pistol grip.

Hope this helps or at least spawns some ideas.