KYBuilder

Spray paint vs. applying it by a brush

I am going to start painting my first set of lures that I carved out of balsa wood, and I am just debating on how to apply the paint. I think that I am going to dip the paints into Bear white primer and after the paint I was thinking about putting Devcon 2-ton epoxy on the baits. Could you guys give a good clear sealer that I could pick up at Home Depot or Lowe's? Finally, I was wondering if spray painting the bait using spray paint cans bought at Home Depot or Lowe's, would be better than applying the paint by a brush? If the brush technique were better, what brand of paint would you guys recommend? Thanks for the help, I'm a newbie at painting!!

I have hand painted all of my lures so far. I will say, it takes a steady hand and some brush research if you stay with it. From what I have seen here, if I was to start over, I would focus on spraying with quality stencils.

I do enjoy painting them by hand though. I use tens of brushes, all designed to add different types of detail. The hardest thing to do is fade the colors together. Very difficult to match a spray job here. Scale masking is very easy to do. Use stiff bristle brushes and dob a light coat of paint over the masking. Perfect scales every time. I have used several different types of Christmas ribbons (very inexpensive after the season) for different scale patterns.

Where spraying is really handy is mass production. I generally make my lure blanks through the summer, then go inside and paint during the winter. I am not selling my lures so time isn't a big issue. I actually enjoy the detail work. But you will not finish as many lures as rapidly as spraying will.

Also, practice, practice, practice. I have early lures I wouldn't show to my dog, others I proudly use with my Musky teammates. Use your scraps, apply primers, foils, etc, then test the acrylics, water base, mixes, etc until you know what brush and combo will deliver the results you are looking for.

It's still a hobby for me, so its all fun. Spinner

First, Welcome on board Spinner (notice it says post: 1). Do show us some of your work, hand painted stuff are sure a rarity these days.

Now for KYBuilder, not trying to confuse U but I'd say both painting & hand brush has it's merits. Big areas like covering half or the whole lure - spray. Blending colors & toning - spray. Detailing - brush and like Spinner said different brush for different application, I've used brush with only 3 bristals :) for detailing individual scales - but this is carrying the painting bit to extreme :D

Sorry to say I don't even own a digital camera so not sure how to post a pic on this site.

I certainly have not posted much, this one being my second. I have been focused on reading, as far back as possible, all of the posts on this site. I have a rather large file of information that will help me design or find the designs I am looking for.

I've even bent Skeeters ear a few times. Most of my baits are in the 6 inch plus range, minnow bait styles, .5 inch in thickness, western cedar as a wood. Have tried several other woods for different types of musky baits. My issue is I need to focus on a few styles at a time and not 6 to 10 all at once. I have had issues with bill placement on larger, high profile cedar baits. I got the wobble I was looking for, but they stayed shallow and little vibration or wiggle. That and the musky were going for smaller baits at the time (this was the June 19th opener in Canada) so many baits were not used much. Wore the paint off of several store boughts though.

This site and participants have been great tutors though. You guys have no idea how helpful you all are when folks like me come in after a few years with more frustration and questions around baits than we have answers. Your help has already saved me countless hours of learning the hard way, and like many of you, I already know of several ways not to build musky baits.

Spinner