VMAXX

Belly weight position

I've noticed some baits namely the "wec tapp" and the deep divers from "thundershad","flatshad" and a few others dont insert their weights fully into the bait,some increase the dia. of the weight outside the body.This is probably a no-brainer..I've built a few tapp style baits and had no problem getting them to balance fully inserting the weight into the body so is their some benefit to moving the weight so low ?

thanks.

Lapala is right in what he says about getting the weight lower. I have talked to a bait maker that does the same thing and his response was that it adds "a little something" to the action of the bait. I have never seen a weight get larger at the end. Most of them just extend out at the same diameter or come to some kind of a taper. Personally I think that they do it because it is easier to hide the hole that is created from drilling for the weight. You can do it without spending the time to hide those edges. I am a firm believer in getting the weight as low as you can in the belly of the lure. I have done this since I first started making crankbaits. I have some of these types of lures in my collection and I have fished them. Personally I cannot feel that "little something" when I fish them. But I have caught plenty of fish on them also. Fritts used a Tapp to help him win the Classic in 93. Jeff Coble used the same bait to win the last Redman and the BFL All American back to back. So it definitely does not hurt anything.

Skeeter