Fishrap

Crankbait lips

I'm new to your TU site, I have enjoyed several of your articles and must say they are very informative. I've been building jigs and spinnerbaits for awhile and thought I would try my hand at air brushing crankbaits (probably some older ones first) then try to make my own customs. I have been gathering information on paints etc. and bought a pasche vl to practice with.

My real question is do you know anyone who makes a stamp like cutter that you can stamp out plastic lips from sheets of lexan? Or can you buy bulk lips from somewhere? Any help appreciated.

To make a "lip punch" you will need two things. First you will need to buy the press. This is what applies the force to punch the lip. Next you can go to a machinist and have the punch or die made to cut the lip. The punch will fit into the press. You will have do decide on the thickness of the lip before you have the punch made. That punch will cut that thickness of polycarbonate only. You can have all of this done for around $300.00

Skeeter

I don't use a punch. I cut all of my lips by hand. I have cut so many of them that I am now pretty good at it. The price for the punch was quoted to my by two machine shops. One was here locally and the other was in Louisville Ky. A punch die should only cost you between $75 and $125. The press is where the big money comes in. But I think one could be designed with a foot brake type of pedal for less.

Skeeter

Skeeter. Do you happen to know the name of the machine shop in Louisville, KY. I currently make crankbaits,Munchbaits. I had a guy up here, (near Cincinnati) , that was making my bills for me, he went into the Navy last year and his father will not let me use the press, that he made, or consider selling it to me. I had to shut my order page down on my website because I only have a handful of bills left, and being a tournament fisherman myself I need these for my use. I tried Stamina and they have a bille that is close but it gives the bait a wider wobble, and munchbaits are not known for a wide wobble.

[/url]

It was two yrs. ago that I checked into it. I believe it was on Newcut Rd. I will ask my dad if he remembers the name of the place or where it was. He usually remembers that kind of stuff. But I am with Blackjack, I would cut my own before I would quit. I'll get back to you on this.

Skeeter

But basically...Use spray glue to "stack" your plastic (might have to cut to size & with the film/paper left on), attach your pattern, then cut. I am not brave enough, nor do I have enough extra digits to do this on a bandsaw, so I use a scroll saw with a round blade. Works well, at least for shallow square bills.

I have'nt stop making the baits, I just take orders here and there, I've been using the Stamina bill and shaving some of it down using my belt sander. I use to cut them out with a saw, and it alway takes my longer to do it that way, plus with my luck here lately I'll lop out a finger. The press I think is the way to go, for me, hopefully Skeeters dad remember the name of that shop.