jigmeister

jointed wood body joint cut angle

I have never tried this before but I am planning on making a large jointed wooden plug similar the an MS Slammer or AC plug and was wondering what the nominal angle for the cut in the front half section of the lure .

I have an AC plug and the angle apears to be a little less than 90 deg.

(from the center line of the bait maybe 40 deg on either side) . The cut in my AC plug isn't symmetrical and I dont know if this is intentional or just poor quality workmanship . Any thoughts or tips from those in the know?

I'm in the process of making my own baits this same style. I've got about 15 different plugs, MS Slammers, AC Plugs and some others.

They all look to be right about 45 degrees from the center line. Each one is slightly different. One of my slammers isn't symetrical either. But it's the only one that has a semi-bad cut.

I would recommend your cut being 90 degrees or larger. Maybe even 120 degrees.

Since you can not turn the halves when assembling the lure, this might help: If you're going to use two screweyes as the hinge, close the one that goes into the deep vee and screweye it all the way in. Make the eye be perpendicular to the vee. Stretch the other screweye more open and screw it all the way in. Make it parallel to the cut. Now slide the open screweye into the closed one. Pinch the open eye close with needlenose pliers.

Unless your lure body has no taper, you'll find that it is very difficult to make the cut symetrical. You can make pencil marks, but it's still tough. You might make a cradle-type jig for the lure to ride in while sawing the cut. The idea is to temporarily eliminate the taper.

Be sure to show us your results.

Thanks guys for the feedback . I was thinking about making a jig to hold the lure level thru the centerline while cutting hopefully resulting in an accurate cut . I was also contemplating using screw eyes at the top and bottom (4 total) but I'm not sure if I will have room for this set up and if there is any benefit to it as far as lure action goes?

Thanks- Jigmeister

I precut with a fine scroll saw the blank of my jointed lure b4 I start carving. I leave a little material to just keep it togather for carving & shaping. After I'm done with carving, then only I cut thru, this seem to enable me to keep a high degree of symetry to the cuts.

As for the angle of the cuts, I go by how "articulate" a certain joint is to be. The joint cut angles act as stops as well to control how much that particular joint bends. Cut a cardboard top view template & play with the angle u want, find the right amout of play (take into account the seperation introduced by the screw eyes) then cut the blank for prototyping. :D Hell lot of work to get it right. Hope this helps. You're welcome to ask more if it seem unclear here. :)