jaktau

Painting Baits

I agree with Cheesehead as I too took a page out of Carolina Chips book. The least expensive way to do this is buy some Ex-Acto Knives. The Ex-Acto Knives were like $1.25 a piece at the craft stoore. I started with 5 of them. Unloosen the nut holding the blade guide in place. Take out the blade to the knife. Insert that blade guide into the Screw Eye that goes into the lure. Then retighten. Of course at first its gonna be a real tight fit, but play with it slowl I took a straight edge screw driver at first to open up the grooves at first.. You'll get it on. If its dead center, its a good tight fit! But be careful cause on occasion, I have had the lure slip off the knife! OOOOOOHHHH Was I mad! It really ticks you off after a Clear Coat! :twisted: When it slipped off, its cause I man handled the lure and moved the screw eye off its center inside the knife holder. Anyway I also took a couple of 2 X 4 scraps about 6 inches long. I drilled a couple holes into the 2 X 4 so the handle can fit snug into the holes.... thats the cheapest and most inexpensive route for a lure holder for spraying... all it really cost me was the amount for the Ex-Acto Knives. I put a small cardbox behind it.... and spray my airbrush into that, with the 2 X 4 Lure holder in front of it. Thats my inexpensive Spray Booth and lure holder combo! :D Cody

All of these suggestions are good. You never know just what you will be using to help hold the lure until you start looking around. Necessity is the mother of invention.

"A need or problem encourages creative efforts to meet the need or solve the problem." the ancient Greek philosopher Plato

I use small alligator clips slipped onto a 3/16" diameter wooden dowel, which fits into the holes of my dryer wheels. You can even stick the dowel into an old drill chuck, rotating it by hand to do the other side. The chuck works well and is easy to get the desired angle I need when holding a template above the lure with one hand and airbrushing with the other. Then I have a couple small strips of 3/4 " plywood with holes drill to hold my dowels and lures untill it's Devcon :twisted: 2 ton Epoxy time.

:rolleyes: Of course, if you are super fast, just toss the lure in the air and spray as it comes down, catching it just before it gets out of arms length. :wink: (just kidding)

bill

I use a section of 1/16 inch wire. Bend one end over so you can hang it, put a few crimps in the other end. The crimped end goes in the tail of the plug. The wire is long enough so that I can easily hold the plug and rotate it as necessary while I paint. For a drying rack I made a basic stand out of 2 x 4 's and used threaded steel rods to hang the baits from. The rack will hold around 100 striper sized plugs. Grab one plug off the rack, hit with one color, back on rack, grab the next bait, etc then on to the next color.

Andrew