MD Doug

Need advice on the proper primer selection

I'm new to the whole process of repainting lures. I've read some of the previous post regarding air brushing and found them to be very helpful. I'm a little confused on Primers still. I'm starting to prep some lures to repaint. Most are plastic but some are wood. I'm wondering if one brand of primer can be used for both wood and plastic or if I should buy separate primer for each. I saw were some guys like Painters Touch but it only referred wooden baits in the post I saw.

Thanks for your input

Doug

I used a water-based product called Kilz and buy it in gallon jugs. I dilute it some with water and then dip each wooden bait in it and let it hang until dry. This stuff is really great, sticks to the wood fantastic and is somewhat plastic-like.

In this way you have both a sealer and a primer and are ready to go to paint. Make sure you wait a few days after using the primer/sealer as you want to make sure it's complete dry.

Jed :D

I'm curious, do you guys using Kilz thin it some as I do? I tried once without and it seemed to be a bit too thick.

Another nice thing about the Kilz that I have found is it will actually dry in extremely cold temps. My shop is in the garage and it's not heated......yikes! Anyway, I dip the baits and then hang them with some newspaper underneath to catch any drips. After one day they are completely dry to the touch, even in 25 degree F weather! I then bring them inside and let them sit another 5-7 days or so in the warmth to insure complete drying. I have tried many other forms of primer/sealer and am the most happy with this method. The Kilz really sticks to the wood, hard to even scrape off with a knife and like I said above it has a somewhat plastic feature to it.

Jed

I tried to spray some Kilz that I'd thinned down with airbrush medium but it didn't work too well. I'm now spraying a thinned down exterior latex house primer. It works fairly well.

I was considering just getting Kilz in a spray can even though it's more expensive. One coat coverage, quick drying and I'm airbrushing the same day.

I switched Corey maybe a month or two ago. The Bulls-eye as you know is just a sealer so then I had to go to a primer after that...another step I didn't want to do. So I started looking for something that included both the sealer and primer and also something that I could dip the baits into as I was tired of trying to spray them. Kilz is working just great for me thus far.

Jed

Doug, if you are just looking for a primer there are some more simple ways then the Kilz. The people that use the Kilz are using it for a wood sealer/primer. Plastic lure don?t need a sealer because they don?t absorb water. The sealer for wood is like sealer for cement. If you don?t seal it is going to crack and chip. Same with wood if you don?t seal it will crack the wood and chip off your paint.

-Corey

Benton you have to dilute the Kilz with water...not sure how much I added I just kept adding water and stirring like mad until I got a consistency that looked about right. The good thing is that by adding water the product goes that much further.....make sure you get the water based version. I'm sure a gallon of the stuff would last the average builder years.

Jed

Please tell me I didn't purchased the wrong primer spray can today. I'm currently working on my first crankbait & I had the paint sanded off awhile ago & applied Krylon Primer. I noticed its clear spray instead of white or grey? Was I suppose to get "Fusion" thats printed under Krylon or am I safe?

applied Krylon Primer. I noticed its clear spray instead of white or grey? Was I suppose to get "Fusion" thats printed under Krylon or am I safe?

if you purchased Krylon primer & its spraying clear, then youre not shaking up the can before you start. Krylon dont make a clear primer.

You likely purchased thier clear acrylic instead.

Theres a way to check, shake the can, the primer has a marble in the can, the clear acrylic does not.

Plastic lures are pretty simple, krylon primer would be fine.

Krylon "Fusion" is made for plastics like polyethelyne & poly-resin plastics that are inherently "oily". Plastics used in injection molded lure bodies are mostly high impact acrylic, so "fusion" isnt needed or recommended because it takes quite awhile to fully dry.

I've been using Krylon Fusion on both wood and plastic and also over old lures (for repainting). It works fine for me on all of those applications; dries well and won't easily run or sag.

I'm inclined to try the Kilz method that Jed mentions though. It must certainly be cheaper and it would be "on hand" longer. Seems like I'm always running out of Fusion. :lol:

Oh, and one of you guys must live fairly close to me...the Devcon 2 ton is being sold out at all the local Walmarts!