RobShaw

Request some help foiling a bait

I checked the tutorials but could not find any info. One of my favorite cranks are the Norman DBN's. One of my favorite colors is black shad (black back/foil sides). Unfortunately, Norman does not make that bait in that color.

I bought a dozen clear unpainted DBN's and some Envirotec Lite. Request some help in turning this into a black shad bait. What's the best foil? should I foil the entire bait and then paint?

Thanks.

p.s., i had this same problem with soft plastic baits about 12 years ago...I now go through about 5 gallons of plastic every 2 months or so. This is a scary trend! lol

You only foil the sides of the lure. After that you crear coat it, and spray paint over the clear coat. You'll get the best effect, if you do it like this. After that another clear coat of E-tex(if that's what you use), and you're done.

Kitchen aluminium foil will do the trick, at least it does for me. There is a tutorial on how to make scales on foil!

Rob,

Take a piece of card stock and place the bait on it so that you can mark out the profile of the bait. Cut the bait profile shape out, this is going to be used as a template. Next you will need foil. A lot of guys use everyday house

aluminum foil, personally I think it is to thick especially when doing a plastic bait as this type of foil will leave a discernible seam where a failure can

occur over time. I like to use candy foil available at any craft store. On each piece of foil there is a shiny side and a dull brushed side. Take your template and mark the outline with a ball point pen, then flip the template over(reverse side) and mark out another outline of the template onto the dull side. Cut them out and place them on a flat surface. Apply some adhesive to the dull side of the foil(I like 3M spray adhesive as it makes a nice bond to the lure body) Apply the foil to each side of the bait and burnish it on with smooth plastic pen-cap. Then take a checkered tool handle and roll it across the foil to make the scale pattern. On a plastic bait you will have to apply a lot of pressure to get the pattern imprinted. When this is done I

usually take a fine grade of sand paper and smooth out the seams. I then clear coat the entire lure with your favorite epoxy (I?m not gonna get into which type debate) Once the epoxy is cured paint your favorite pattern and clear coat again