Oncorhynchus_tshawytscha

Calling all Plastic Melters! Need help with dip!

I tried to follow the tutorial, I really did. I went and bought the lacquer thinner that is made by Klean Strip, I got a big glass jar with a lid that seals, I even went and bought plastic cups that had a #6 inside of the recycling symbol.

My problem is that I don't know how many cups to use, and when I should proceed to step #4. My container is an 2.36L (80 fl. oz.) glass pickle jar, made for vlassic Kosher Dills and I am using 16oz. semi-clear plastic cups from Wal-mart. I have used one pack (24 count) of cups, and the solution still won't turn milky white when I shake it.

The jar is about 10 inches tall, and the melted cups are just sitting at the bottom in a big glop of goo (about 2 inches tall).

Thanks for the help,

Brock

Sound's like you didn't get the Extra Virgin Laquer Thinner..

Does the bottle look EXACTLY like the one in the Tutorial?

That's the problem I've been there and done that. You must get Virgin lacquer thinner or it will not work. Regular Lacquer thinner doesn't have the strength the virgin stuff does.

Well, I just went to Home Depot and bought the only lacquer thinner they had.

Tally said in his tutorial that "I am sure that there is a number of thinners that will work" and I took what he said as the gospel truth. Actually I thought that the Virgin Lacquer Thinner was just a brand name, and not an actual type of thinner.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to go to Shucks, Al's Auto Parts, and Napa and see what they have.

Brock

Tally said in his tutorial that "I am sure that there is a number of thinners that will work" and I took what he said as the gospel truth. Actually I thought that the Virgin Lacquer Thinner was just a brand name' date=' and not an actual type of thinner.

Brock[/quote']

Sorry if I mislead you. I probably should have stated that there are more that don't work than do. All I can tell you is the thinner in the tutorial works and if you try other types be prepared for disappointment.

Tally

All right, I think I got the exact same type as was used in the tutorial. It's made by Klean Strip, and is called Fast Thinner: Primer Grade. The number underneath the Klean Strip logo is GLW719.

Okay, I just read the topic entitled "I Read about a plastic sealer..." that was posted by Husky. The new thinner I got says it "contains Alcohols, Esters, Ketones, Methanol, Petroleum Distallates."

I know that methyl alcohol is, or at least I think I do :? But what the devil is Toulene? I've never even heard/read about it before.

So did I get the right stuff, or am I going to have to return it to Shucks Auto Supply?

THanks for everyones help with all of my questions,

Brock

So did I get the right stuff' date=' or am I going to have to return it to Shucks Auto Supply?

Brock[/quote']

Brock, the only way to know if that will work is to try it. The key word is "Virgin". If you have an Auto Zone they carry what is pictured in the tutorial. Since posting that tutorial I have also found it at walmart in the Auto body section. Some lacquer thinners are thinned or reduced and some are even recycled. These types of thinners will not work.

As far as how many cups it will take, just remember that thin is better than thick.

Tally

Well, I didn't think anyone would answer me, so I went ahead and tried. And it actually worked! Now I just need to figure out if I need it thicker, and how many dips it's going to take for my cedar and 2x4 lures.

One other question, does this work as a replacement for the first coat of Etex or Devcon 2-Ton to seal muskie and pike lures? And do I need to use Kilz 2 after I'm done with the plastic dip?

Thanks for answering all of my questions, and special thanks to Tally and Husky for sharing this, and taking the time to make a tutorial. Next up on my projects list: Making a Bondo mold!

Brock