cullin8s

Who was the father of custom painting?

Dwain,as with any subject there will be many with interesting information to respond.Man! what a good subject to post here.

I cant say for sure that Bob was the sole person to start this crazy and wonderful thing we do with custom lures.I can say the he has been a big influence on me. Bob came up with some pretty good color schemes back when there were only just a few to choose from, and most of them caught fish.

Dale Sellers gives Bob a lot of credit for influencing his work.I think that Hughes was a taxidermist back then,(I could be wrong) and Bob had some influence on Tim as well.I think that Tim and Bob may have worked together at one time.(I may be wrong about this as well)Maybe guys like Tim Hughes (is he still a moderator?) could shed a little more light on the subject.

Last account I had of Bob was he was still in the Missouri area.The last time I spoke to Bob I believe he was in the electrical buisiness.Think I might try to contact Bob sometime in the future and get his take on the subject.Maybe he could give a little history on who or what influenced him.

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

06blue_nose_bob_157.jpg

1459_thumb.attach

Well we have pictures of baits that were custom painted more than a 100 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if custom painting dates back hundreds of years, perhaps thousands. Early painters probably used various wood pigments, charcoal, etc., to color their creations much like the early cave paintings and tattos were done. Very interesting subject.

jed

I recently heard about a man named Bob Tendal who began the custom painting thing as we know it in the 70's. Does anyone know he was the first to really pursue the art? I would like some history on this subject if its out there.

As we know it how? the 70's was over 30 years ago, hardly qualifies as "as we know it"

With the introduction of the Internet, and the availability of cheaper plastic lures, anyone can persue the fine art of painting a lure. Back in the days before the internet, I am sure it was not as popular. Unless, one did it for himself or a friend, etc.

If the cavemen all took their lures to bubba caveman and had him paint them you guys might be right, but i really think custom painting lures started much later. "as we know it" in its simplest form would mean refinishing lures for $$ in order to create something unique. I'm only talking about custom paint, not custom making.

I would send Tim Hughes an email and ask him. He has been around for a long time and probably would know the answer better than most on this particular subject.

I think where most of us were going was that the lures that were hand carved in the 1800's - Mid 1900's and before, also had to be finished. The early lure carvers also had to have a color line up and created the whole process.

The original "custom" lure probably goes back farther than we realize..In fly tying, alot of the classical patterns were custom created for the wealthy waaaay back 8O

As far as painting, around here, the old timers tell of guys they'd take their musky baits to and get them painted up. Pretty interesting stuff.

It would be cool to know the exact time a fishing lure was altered to suit the owners needs..I can see it now "Jonah, wear the red robe, that green one will never get a whale to bite!" :wink: