ROBZILLA

Steping up my game

Been watching the guys on the fly tying board and though "hell I'll tie my own trebble hooks" not as hard as I thought it might be but I have never tried a fly "that looks hard right there". but why pay when you can do it your self and get what you want!

This is the second one I ever done so it's not perfect by any means.

Robby.

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

macaw_1_138.jpg

1462_thumb.attach

Good job Robzilla. A coupla tips that might help. First, build up a good base (almost cone-shaped) with your thread before you put your hair on, this will help flair it a bit. Also, you can try tying the hair in with your tip ends pointing out forward of the eye and then after whipping them in, fold them back over themsleves and whip a head on. I always used a 2 part epoxy (devcon) to coat my heads instead of head cement..keeps the pike from ripping them up :twisted: One last thing, if you want "perfection" you might want to pick up a magnum size hair stacker to align your tips...personally, I like bucktails to look more staggered.

Windknot (former fly tying freak :rolleyes: )

Robzilla,

I have to agree with Windknot; the reverse bullet head style will flair the hair alot more. Or go with Bob Popovics Hollow Fleyes style of tying. You can find it in the February 2005 issue of Fly Fisherman (www.flyfisherman.com). The magnum hair stacker is nice, but have switched to synthetics, and taperizing scissors. I like Ultra Hair, Supreme Hair, and Strung Fuzzy Fiber. The last two are made by Hedron Inc. out of Stillwater MN.

Hope that helps,

Brock(current flytying freak)

You could try putting up a couple of rooster feathers(just the tips), so they are curved outwards! Hope you understand what i'm saying!

If you want to make them easyer you could try to tie them on a hollow tube, and afterwords cut it exactly the size you need for the tremble you wanted to tie it on. And your fingers won't be a problem any more

:wink: