out2llunge

Makin' the newbies feel good.

A lot of the new folks around here probably feel a little intimidated by the great work that a bunch of the folks do around here. I get goosebumps when I see what some guys are doing. So I thought I'd share one of my first 'body bait' creations from about 20 years ago. It's not very pretty, but it works. I'm going to strip it down and do a re-paint to use it on trout.

So for all you newbies who aren't as proud as you should be check this one out - it should immediately make you feel a whole lot better about your first attempts.

BTW, a plexiglass lip and just a very thin topcoat of aerosol varnish with some really ugly work on the belly.

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

old_one_246.jpg

1482_thumb.attach

I couldn't find a picture of it, considering it was from '67. It was a piece of Broomstick with its' rear tapered with a sander, through wired with galvanized wire, an alum. lip and sprayed rattle can white. I rushed to the rocks to try it out and nailed a 17" striper on the 3rd cast.

BTW, it was a s ugly as sin.

"My name is Mike and I'm a Plugaholic"

The top lure is a new version of one of my early paint patterns, called "Eat Me". The bottom lure is from around 1980. The body is a maple dowel rod. The lip is a beer can tab, attached with a couple screws. The yellow stripes were applied with the side of a toothpick. The black was shot from a spray can. The scales on the belly were some of my best, at that time. There was no clear coat. A coat of polyurethane was added just a few years ago. This lure has been retired for quite so time. However, it occasionally gets to go for a swim. Each time it catches a fish, I fear for its life. I'd hate to loose it, so it goes back into retirement. It fairly ugly, but the darn thing swims. It probably was one of the very first ones that I made that actually swam as I intended it to swim. It only took me about 6 years to get to this point. I started messing around making wooden lures in 1974. There's quite a box of them somewhere that don't swim. About half of that box is out of my reach. You see, I let someone talk me into selling them. I enjoy the comparison of old and new. The top lure is one of my Propjobs and was made near the end of the last century.

ll_old_new.jpg

OK, it's time for something REALLY ugly. I made this lure in 1975 when I was 12. I was just getting into ultra-light fishing and I was having a hard finding suitable baits.

The body is a cork bobber. I cupped out the face to make it a popper and cut a slit the body and imbedded a hook. The bulge under the shaft of the hook is a flattened-out sinker I used for ballast. I painted it by brushing on Testor's model enamel, you can tell I did not know the dotting the eye with a nail trick yet. :(

I also glued a couple of pieces of aluminum foil to the side to mimic the flash I got from my MirroLures. Does this make me the granddaddy of all foilers? :wink:

You can also notice the remnants of the gold spots down the side. Most have worn off, but this was also my first attempt at creating a Jim Pfeffer style Orlando Shiner paint scheme.

And yes, I did catch fish on this lure. The sad part is I continued make lures just as ugly for almost 30 years until I discovered TU and other sites and learned to do it right.

Here is my one.

Not the very first, but my most successful early plug so far, with some wear and tear. It has caught a lot of asps (a funny predatory fish, without any teeth) for me.

folk

BTW, it seems that attachments don't work properly for me, so I put here the links.

http://img.tar.hu/benyhe/size2/12165310.jpg

http://img.tar.hu/benyhe/size2/12193957.jpg