savacs

Screw Eyes HEEEEELP!!!

I was wondering how do you guys use this stuff? What i mean by this is that i don't know when to screw them in! After i base soated the lure, or after, or it does not really matter.

Do you screw them in once, or do you screw them in twice. The first time just to know the whole is there :rolleyes:, and the second time with some epoxy on them.

Just got some, and i'm not really sure hoe to use them. I noticed that even so you need some strength to pull them out. They're as solid as they can get:bull: .

Don't know any one else that could help, other than you guys!

Savacs, I'm relatively new too this, but I'll try to help. I make my baits mostly in Maple (hardwood) But, what I do is lay out my screw eyes for drilling before I Primer the bait.

To choose a drill bit, I hold it up to the threads of the screw eye and make sure that all of the threads show up over the bit ,( top and bottom).

Once you have determined where the holes need to be, mark them and pre-drill.

I then put a short screw eye on the nose of the bait (you can use an old eye, as this is just to secure the bait for primering and painting) the other two holes, I put a small piece of wire in to fit snug, and this lets me know where the holes are after priming and painting.

I finish the bait with my paint job, and pull the wires out with a pliers(twist and pull).

I then select the new screw eyes to be put in the bait. Mix a small amount of epoxy, and CAREFULLY screw the new eyes in with a dab of epoxy on the threads. When all is installed and lined up, the bait is secured in the drying rack and ready for Epoxy. :)

NOTE, Watch the eye carefully! If the eye is going in hard and starts to twist, back it out and use a new eye..Had one break off in a glider last night..if this happens, I found you can re-drill through the hole and install a new eye :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are easier ways, and I might be doing it "all wrong" 8O But it's worked so far, and it's nice to know the eyes are where they should be before ya do all the finish work.

Hope I was of some help, Good Luck, Windknot

Savacs,

I drill and install all mine before sealing and priming. Drill a pilot hole a bit smaller than the drill bit and glue them in. The glue isn't necessary to hold the screw eye in but helps prevent air from escaping from this site later on. If you have any other problems feel free to come back and ask.

Good luck.

jed

Thanx guys! I am curentlly working on a 4ynch jointed red fin, and this is the first one i'll use screw eyes on. It's not coated yet, but the screws are installed, and it already looks good to eat, and i didn't even paint it yet. Anyway i'll put epoxy in the holes just in case. I haven't drilled any holes. I just screwed them in, and just a minute ago screwed them out, and put them away, waiting to get home the day after tomorrow to finish it.

Except the epoxy laier, because the e-tex i ordered didn't get here yet :(

Much better to do that than to hurry some other part of the lure process. When I first started building baits I would get so excited that I was almost done that I wouldn't let things dry completely...take your time, be patient, otherwise you will most certainly end up being disappointed.

Jed