pikehunter

weight question

hay evryone. i have built a few lurs now, and just tried a couple out of oak. the dezines that i have been using are from the lurebuilding 101 web sight. the only problem that i am having is that the floter bait that i am trying to build sinks like a rock when weitht is added like it says. so, i remove weight till the lure flotes, and then it ends up on its side till i put the hooks on it. any info on why this is hapening would be appreciated.

I don't build any floaters so take this info for what it is worth...next to nothing, lol.

If you are trying to build a floater don't worry about trying to match the weight amounts on 101, there are too many variables with woods to make yours match their drawings. What you want to do is to weight the wood so that it sits in the water the way you want it to. I would look at some other floaters and see how much of the bait is underwater and try to make yours similar. Make sure you include the hooks on each bait too when testing for weight so that you can get an a close estimate of what the finished product will look like in the water. I would set it up so that it sits just a tad high so that once you get paint and epoxy on it things will be about right. I am guessing by your username that you are wanting to build something like a big spook, jackpot, or weagle.......these baits are weighted heavier toward toward the tail to get them to walk on the surface.

Regarding woods, you may find that oak is just too heavy to be used for a floater...it would probably make a good wood tho for gliders altho shaping it will be a chore. If you are wanting to stick with the oak you will probably be able to add very, very little weight as oak is quite dense. For floaters a better choice would probably be pine.

Best of luck.

Jed

thanks for the info riverman. thats sort of on the lines of what i was thinking. i'll have to cut out another one in the am and try it out. as far as working with oak, its not that dificult of a deal. just use a jig saw to cut out the lure to approx. size and take a drum sander on a router table do all the fine shaping. cut one out today and only took 15 min. to get evrything shaped. then i botched it by adding to mutch weight and saw it sink like a rock.

hay guys, cut out another lure out of oak today and tried somthing different. befor i added any weitht to the lure, i just put the hooks on and set it in the water. to my suprise, the lure floted properly in the water without adding any lead to it. :D

johnytheboy, the lure that i am trying to make is the 8" b-flat from lurebuilding 101