KingKarl

Using glass rattles 4 eyes

Hi fellas,

I was wondering if anyone has done this before that is use Glass Rattles for eyes on their lures? I was having a kip (snooz) the other day and it can to me as i was trying work out where to best place a G/rattle in my wooden lures and I worked out that the the head area is big and strong enough to take it across from side to side,as it also shakes from side to side in its swimming motion. Then as these things evolve, I wondered if there where glass rattles long enough to just stick out of each side of the head like a pair of eyes as i didn't want to putty up the holes then paint over them or place some stick on 3D's. So when I got up i made some enquires, got some measurments ( I needed 20mm) had a look in the cave (shed) and found some rattles in the said length and hey presto. I Drilled the holes, slid in the rattle, they stick out about 1mm either side and look pretty realistic. Im gunna add some paint to form the outer eye and to give it definition and I reckon It'll come up trumps. what do you think? best of all i think it serves two very good purposes in one.

Karl

you have the right length rattles. I've only tried rattles in shallow running wide bodied balsa cranks. You have to be careful NOT to put them at the axis of rotation on the crankbait or they won't rattle. On my first attempts, I placed it high in the bait to avoid the wire harness and belly weight. The weight of the ball bearing in the rattle caused the crank to list to one side when it was a rest on the water (not desirable!). I gave up after that, thinking Hey, if you want rattles, buy plastic baits :)