piddler

best sealer?

Epoxy makes a good sealer for wooden baits. I would use a longer set time than 5 min., so it wont be so brittle. Use cautiop to spread it thinly, as too much epoxy can impare the action. You can thin epoxy with alcohol, or acetone.

You can use oil based paint for a sealer as well, but you can run into compatability problems with your paints later.

:D I hae been using a production laquer available at Sherwin Williams. You cut the paint 50/50 with laquer thinner. You will have to dip the baits 3 or 4 times for a good coating. This sounds like a lot but the paint dries fast and dipping takes little effort. I am making Muskie jerkbaits. Am a small manufacturer. Mark

I mix denatured alcahol 40 % devcon to about 60 % alcahol, then keep applying coats with a sponge brush until the wood will not take anymore, then let it dry overnight on my wheel. This way with it being so thin it will soak up into the wood. Someone on this site gave me that info, sorry I can,t remember who it was to give them credit, but it seems to work nice.

(not the 5 minute devcon)

:D I hae been using a production laquer available at Sherwin Williams. You cut the paint 50/50 with laquer thinner. You will have to dip the baits 3 or 4 times for a good coating. This sounds like a lot but the paint dries fast and dipping takes little effort. I am making Muskie jerkbaits. Am a small manufacturer. Mark

kbkindle here when you say you seal with lacquer product from sherman williams are you talking about a primer or paint . i have found a fill and sand gray lacguer primer from ppg paint co sound about the same deal i did not know whether to spray or dip primer if you dip do you sand in between coats being it dryes quick you can sand in about a hour between coats that is when you spray . i just ordered a guart it was $62.00 a quart but of course mix a quart and you have 2 quarts. kb

I like epoxy for sealing soft balsa because it's a "two fer" - seal the bait and strengthen it at the same time. I'd definitely use the 2 Ton Devcon, not the 5 min. The 5 min cures so fast that it's hard to get on the bait before it starts to gunk up. Plus it doesn't level like 2 Ton will. As to whether you'll need to sand afterwards, that depends on how smooth your sanded surface is before application.