scoop10

cutting polycarbonate w/ press

Anyone have any experience cutting polycarbonate lips with any kind of a stamp press?

Will it actually cut with such a press?

A buddy says he can get me a hand press that will produce 500 lbs of pressure, but I'd have to get a machine shop to create the dies.

I don't really know anything about these kinds of presses, so any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, you can do this. I do not have a press but I do know that it can be done. I really don't think that 500lbs. is enough pressure to cut it. Also the polycarbonate can be no more than 1/8th inch thick. Really it needs to be about half of that. You need to have a perfect drawing of the lip and get a good machinest to make the stamp. The stamp should cost you between 80 and 180 bucks. Also remember that the stamp will have to be made to fit the press that you buy.

Skeeter

It is not necessary to have a hydraulic press.You need a male punch that is shape of lip and it will slip fit (can feel "suction" or air resistance as part is slid through) into female shape.The female shape must have a slot near the bottom so that you can insert your lip material and room beneath the slot so the lip can "drop" as it is cut/punched,but the punch does not fall through.After punching lip slide female part over a hole/table edge to push lip out.I would suggest A2 for steel,both parts to be heat treated,female shape should be made by EDM(electical discharge machining).Find a shop/machinist that does alot of die work.To punch out lips you will set the male part on top of your lip material and strike the top of the punch sharply with a metal hammer.Looks very much like the 2nd picture from the top.Just remove male punch from block.Pieces do not need to be so tall,although male punch should be taller than female cavity for easy removal.Estimating towards the high and at $50/hr,$300 to $400 should get a couple cavities(can be different shapes) and mating punches if you are going through the shop.Maybe deal with an individual and barter if he fishes.A good trade school can be cheap labor if they have the equipment and a skilled instructor.