nim_evets

Crayfish patterns

I've been painting some crankbaits and have got the kill dot and a gill stencil down. But, I'm having trouble with crayfish patterns.

What is the secret to doing a good crayfish pattern?

I tried to make a stencil, but the stencil doesn't lay well on crankbaits and is flimsy with all the cutout sections

Are most people freehanding these with an airbrush? Or using some kind of paint marker?

I appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve most are doing stencils for craw patterns, not to say that there is not some guys good enough on TU that can do it free hand. any type of palstic that is clear and pliable will work and you might have to use tape or some means to secure the stencil. When I first started making cranks I wanted a "real" looking craw and have attatched the photo. I still do this pattern for myself, but it is very time consuming.

Tally

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

realcraw_500.jpg

1616_thumb.attach

I am lucky enough to have some of Tally's craw pattern crankbaits. You can look at them and tell that he has poured a ton of time into them. He turned me on to a site with different species of crawfish and their different colot patters. Believe me, Tally has hit these patterns dead on the head. Most of us (myself included ) get to use to the standard crawfish patterns that most bait companies use. Tally did his homework and opened up all of the different colors that nature has given these little critters. He is the man to ask.

Skeeter