Dink Mendez

A Family of Plastic Crankbaits that deserve to be used!!!!

Hello Fellow Members,

Well, here is the topic. I'm looking for a consistent family of plastic crankbaits are built with quality. I've tried many crankbaits, however I'm looking to use one family of crankbaits. I'm looking for the qualities of suspending models, shallow to deep and that run consistent. Many say to use BOMBERS, BANDIT, LUHR JENSEN SPEED TRAP AND OTHERS!

This is a very difficult subject. The performance and style of the baits is very important to me. I fish in heavy population of Spot's, however Blacks are coming up very fast. Wood crankbaits are great, but sometimes they want that plastic cranks. Any info and why you like the crankbaits would be very helpful.

Thank, DINK!

IMO, the best consistent quality, variety of design and performance from any line of plastic crankbaits is from LUCKY CRAFT, hands down. I used to think $15 for a crankbait was absurd but after buying 200 baits from various manufacturers, I came to feel that it's worth it to know you can break a LC crank out of its package, tie it on and it will run straight and catch fish 99% of the time. Now I feel life is too short NOT to use them.

I have cranks from probably every Pradco brand and also bandit, Normans, every "major" manufacturer you can think of and some from Megabass, Yozuri, Lucky craft. It takes a variety of baits for a variety of conditions. Strike King/Bandits(Bandits are a cheap imitation that I don't feel run as well,IMO), Bomber, Rebel, Norman and so many more, all have there place, as do wooden cranks. If you're talking about a lake you consistently fish...just find out what the preferred crankbait is for this time of year and buy a couple of those. If you don't know what the "hot" color is and can't find out...buy them in patterns of the local forage, as in, "match the hatch". Also, I've bought Lucky Crap and personally think they are way overrated. I know at this time of year, here around where I live, I'm taking Bomber 6a's and 7a's + C.C. Big O's predominately every time I go fishing. Always buy Two cranks of the same model and color, never just one.

I found the best cranks are those you find along the shoreline when fishin' :D LOL!!

I used to order up a couple hundred dollars worth of cranks almost every fishing season, til I woke up! Rebel wee craws were my favorite. I'd ordered like fifteen of them at a time but on my last order (almost three years ago) each and everyone of 'em ran like cr*p! needless to say I never turned back. Making your own is the way to go!

Jaime is right. Take the qualities you like from each particular crankbait and try to incorporate them into one that you make. For instance, you like the bill from one brand, the slope of the back from another, and the belly design from a third. Combine them and see what you can create!

At least that is what I am working on right now. WARNING: If you are married, making crankbaits can be hazardous to your sex life! Too much time in the workshop can lead to cold nights in the bedroom! :lol:

you are right about the sex life thing. many long nights in the shop and its very cold in bed. as far as a line of baits, no one has it completely covered. hand made baits are definetly the way to go. in my opinion most mass produced baits are junk. i have spent many hours in the last 10 years finding that out. the rapala shad rap is probably the best one i have found that is mass produced. bomber 6A and 7A era very good also. i have alot of confidence in the zoom and a few other hand made baits. just mt .02