davycrockett

Epoxy

Howdy folks. I've been soaking up all this great info every chance I get. My head gets spinning! :D Was wonering if there are any alternatives to Devcon? Devcon works great so far (for topcoating spinnerbait heads and my feable atemps :rolleyes: at hardbaits.) Only thing is the twin tube Devcon doesn't go very far. Has anyone used any other product in bigger quanities? The local home improvement store carries a type of epoxy similar to Devcon but it comes in two 8oz jars. I passed on it because I was not sure how to go about getting equal amounts when mixing it. Any suggestions or should I just load up on Devcon for the ease of easy mixing? Thanks guys.

G'day fellas

I use a lot of different types of epoxies, some are equal parts, some are 3:1, some are 4:1, I just buy medical syringes & mix the quantities specified on the type of epoxy you are using. The 5mm syringes are the ones I use the most & they can be purchased at most chemists for next to nothing. You can continue to use them to mix your quantities from the same epoxy supply until it runs out & or if you replace the same epoxy brand. The main thing is to ensure you use one syringe for the resin & one syringe for the hardener, I usually just tape them to the container to ensure I dont mix the syringes up accidentally. Also when I epoxy the stainless steel eyelets in my lures I also use a 5 mm syringe to insert the mixed epoxy into the predrilled & predetermined depth hole, if you know the depth of the hole you get to know exactly how much epoxy to insert in the hole & as you push the stainless steel eyelet in the epoxy covers the wire & seals the hole nicely, I usually do about 15/20 lures at a time & this allows me enough working time to ensure the eyelets are inserted & are in line. The syringe used for the mixed epoxy can be continually used, most epoxies can be cleaned by placing normal Vinegar in a small sealed container & just squirt the vinegar in & out of the used syringe a couple of times, I then leave the syringe in the vinegar & clean the syringe before I use it next time, change the vinegar occassionally. It also helps if you slightly taper the end of the syringe by sanding it with glass paper, this allows the nozzle to snuggly fit into the eyeley hole you are inserting the epoxy into. I have used epoxies that are really runny & some epoxies that were fairly thick & the method I use is effective on either, hope this assists you, cheers Balls