basstech

Help with airbrush pressure

Hi all, some of you may remember that I am a rookie here. In the past month I've learned a lot, but there are somethings I need feedback on.

It's been my experience that when I go from a #3 tip to a #1 that not only do I need to thin the paint more, I also need to increase air pressure. I've been using createx and have found the different bottles of paint are extremely inconsistent in the viscosity. I bought a Silent-Air air compressor viper II (I think),and it is rated at 38 lbs. max. From what I am guessing I'm lucky if I'm getting 20lbs. at the tip except on the initial burst of air at which time the compressor begins running and doesn't stop until I do and the pressure drops significantly. I'm finding even when I thin my paint 2 or 3 pts. water to 1 part paint...using a #1 tip. I have to really blast it to get the brush to draw paint. If I don't keep the pressure on full the whole time the paint stops drawing, also I have to keep the tip at least 6"'s or more back from the crankbait or it gets too wet and blows, or pools up, giving me a really crappy finish. I don't have near the amount of problems using the #3 but I'm still unable to do any detail work with it. Is this because primarily my compressor is too weak, is it possible there is something wrong with my needle. How can I tell if I need to replace the needle. I've been very meticulous in the handling of the needles and tips and extremely cautious in making sure I don't drop, jam, or place the needle tip down. Also am very meticulous in cleaning the air brush immediately after using it. Can someone give me a clue? Pleasssssse?

You might get a better response than I can give, but I would say the compressor is the problem. It is not keeping up with the amount you need. The people who do my wifes nails use those compressors and I was interested because of how silent they were. They told me that it probably would not work for what I was going to do. On nails they just spot shoot a template and it is a quick blast and then on to the next nail. Hope this helps and good to see another Missourian.

Tally

I checked my Paasche VL when I had similar problems and found I had mixed up the tips/cones/needles and was using a mis-matched set. My VL with #1 tip runs thinned acrylic latex OK with a compressor that has a working pressure (constant) of 30-35 psi. I most often use a #3 tip and it works OK at pressures as low as 15-20 psi. Personally, I don't expect lots of detail with acrylic hobby paints and a VL but it's sufficient for basecoating, shading and shooting over friskets and scale netting. For detail like gills, kill spots and crawdad legs, I use Sharpie Pens. I've used 2-3 airbrush sets in the last 2 yrs and my gut feeling is a gravity fed brush like an Iwata and lacquer paints, or at least fine semi transparent acrylics would probably be needed for me to get much better at detail. But at this stage, the VL/acrylics get what I want done.

Do you have an air regulator guage on your compressor that shows you what the output is while you are spraying? If not go to Lowes and get one for around $20.00. If you have a Paasche VL do you shoot with the red rear cover on? If so, take it off and learn to adjust the needle. Use the #3 tip. I use it for all of my spraying. Next decide on a paint and stick with it and learn to use that type of paint. Jumping around to all types of brands will drive you nuts if you are just starting out. Next, go to the Createx site and send them email. Tell them your problems. They will answer you. Dean is right, your paint is too thin. That is part of the reason that the paint is blowing. Remember, most of the createx that most folks here shoot is made for spraying fabrics such as T shirts. It will paint a bait just fine, but you need to work at it and learn to shoot it. I wouldn't thin it at all to start. Createx is pretty well thinned to start with. I will tell you that you will need to keep the psi above 20. If you have questions about adjusting the needle in and out of the gun just ask. This should get you started a little better.

Skeeter

My thoughts are your brush isn't adjusted right. Listen to what Skeeter said, he helped me out a lot when I first started. I used to use a small compressor of about the same size as you describe, it sprayed 20psi if I was lucky. With my VL I could shoot unthinned createx through a #1 needle with no problems. That is after I learned to adjust the brush! If you need help with how to adjust the brush just holler.

I don't do very many lures, and I am new here. I do a lot of fish and birds using Liquitex and Jensen for fish. I seal with Krylon. On birds I use Jensen. My airbrushes are Badger. For detail (ie. trout spots, feather detail, etc.) I can go down to 2 lbs. I have never tried Createx, but I do use some Polytranspar and Lifetone, and can still get good results at 3-4 lbs.. I Don't use my Psych because I have never been able to get it adjusted right. My compressor is a Sears with a 20 lb tank that I use in my garage. My studio has an additional regulator and filter so I can cut the Sears down to 40 and then cut my airbrush to 25 and below which is what I normally use. Even Guess is done at 25. As the guys indicated, it's practice and experiment until you get comfortable. Carver Guy

Basstech, that VL you have will do just as fine of work as anything else out there but you must get the needle adjusted rite for whatever kind of detail youre lookin for.Pay attention to what skeeter tells you on how to adjust the needle because once you get that down pat most of youre problems will go away!I fought the same problems with mine and was about to give up on the VL until I asked DR.SKEETER about those adjustments.I use my #1 tip alot and the pressure regulator is a must for you if you want to have consistent pressure.I use nothing but createx and dont thin anything except the pearl colors,the pearls are quite a bit thicker than the others in the createx paints.

Thanks guys for your replies. This gives me plenty to keep in mind. I will experiment with the needle adjustments and viscosity of paint and see what I can figure out. I do keep the back off just for quickness in cleaning. I spend more time cleaning than painting. just kind of anal about getting brush cleaned quickly before any thing starts to dry in it. Thanks again.

How much does a cheap air brush cost. And does anybody have a older one their not using since they upgraded from that for sale or anything. Would like to do some nice work and sell it to a local tackle shop here for some extra money since I don't have a job and not old enough yet.

Some of the guys here will disagree with this advice, but if you want to get started cheap, Harbor Freight sells a very low end air brush fo $10 and if often goes on sale fo $5. The argurment is you are throwing your money away with a cheap brush, I say it is an inexpensive way to get started without the risk of jacking up a quality brush like I did.. You can always upgrade later.

Do you have a compressor? If not PM me, I not far from you and may have somethings to help you get started.

How much does a cheap air brush cost. And does anybody have a older one their not using since they upgraded from that for sale or anything. Would like to do some nice work and sell it to a local tackle shop here for some extra money since I don't have a job and not old enough yet.

Chris

Jann's sells a kit for like $25 or something. I have one I bought off eBay I cannot get to evenly spray without spitting out a lot of paint. The paint says ready to use on the bottle but I think it needs thinned out some. Right now I have been painting crankbaits with $.99 spray cans that look very good (nothing like the museum pieces in the gallery but good).

Allen