SGriff

Source For Custom Lead Head Mold??

Would like to purchase a mold or molds that would allow me to use the older bronze 3/0 Mustad 32756 90 degree hooks. I want round barbed heads in weights of 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4 all being able to use the 3/0 hook. Anyone know of anyone or any company I might be able to discuss getting these from?

A Do-it mold is a good place to start. If you slip and make the cavity for the hook too large, you can make a repair with kid's modeling clay. Actually, the clay will help hold the hooks in place, too.

The only critical place is where the hook cavity meets the jig cavity.

So, your next question is: how do I get the modifications in the same location on each half of the mold? There's a couple ways. You could position the hook on one side and then slowly close the mold and give it a squeeze. I'd squeeze by hand or maybe give it a light tap. This should make a mark on each half.

This way is a little trickier, but it works well. Using something like MicroSoft Paint, draw the cavity and hook. Copy the drawing and paste it back. Make the copy a mirror image of the first drawing. Line the copies up so they are directly opposite of each other. Print the drawing. Hold the paper up to a light and fold it in such a way that the pictures are right over each other. Cut away most of the extra paper. Use gluestick (which is a light glue) on the outside of the drawing. Lay it over one half of the mold and leave the creease sticking out. Gently close the mold and squeeze it together. Cut the crease away. Open the mold. Each half will have a paper stuck to it and the will be positioned correctly.

Here's a rough drawing: Let 0 be the jig head. Let | be the crease. The drawing will look like this: 0 | 0

Hope this helps.

Some one can make the changes for you.

Do-it all the time............... B)

The 1/16 will be hard to pour.

It will take some extra venting and a increase in gate size to get that cav. to pour good.

Are you looking for just small production for your self?

Because if not I would say you need production molds.

Other wise you can just about get it done with just one mold.

Hook eye length will control that.

I have been pouring over sized hooks like this since 88, for walleye fishing.

Heck I might have one to do that size now...

You could position the hook on one side and then slowly close the mold and give it a squeeze. I'd squeeze by hand or maybe give it a light tap. This should make a mark on each half.

This may not be the preferred method....

but I lay the mold on something solid and hit it hard with a hammer, well maybe not that hard, this will imprint the mold really good and it may not take much grinding.

I have always wondered if I was going to break the mold. Haven't yet.

Try at your own risk!