smitty0312

How to find center on a round dowel?

:D Hi there, I use a center finder that I purchased from a Woodcraft Store. It works awesome. If you can't find one check out Woodcraft online and see if you can find it in their catalog. If you can't find one or don't want to spend the money, send me your email address and I will send you a picture of one that I made. I like the heavy metal one better from Woodcraft. I hope this helps and if you need any info just pm or email me . Good luck Ken Schmitz

Another cheap way is to shop a business store like Office max or whatever is near you and go to the mechanical drawing section and get a circle template. A good plastic template will have all your dowel diameter sizes and on that circle is a cross hair markers. Place the dowel threw the hole that fits snug and join the lines at the center by using a pencil . Now place a smaller hole over that cross hair you just made and center it and draw a circle that shows the smallest amount the you desire to have remaining and color it in with paint. ( my guess is that your going to lathe it) You can also use this method for ballancing the lure as it gets more detailed then I wish to write but its very accurate. The type off wood constitutes the ballance and how much the lure will sink into the water while stationary. The cost of a template >$6 or less.

You can make a center finder out of scrap pieces around the shop. Take a section of 2 x 4 and cut it into a square. Take an old jig saw blade and insert it diagonally across the 2 x 4, blade facing up, partially exposed. I did mine by using the blade to make a groove, then epoxied it in place. Take two other pieces of scrap wood and attach them to the 2 x 4 so that they form a corner with the jigsaw blade where the two pieces meet. Place your dowel against the back wall and tap it with a mallet. Turn the dowel 45 degrees and tap again. Center is where the X is. Works for square stock too.

Andrew

That is a great tool, Pete. I have a carpenters version of the same tool. The 90 deg angle is bisected by the 45 degree angle. So a line drawn along the 45 deg line bisects the dowel. Do it in another spot and the intersection is the center of the dowel. Yor tool is much better than the carpenters version as it is scaled down to the relevant size. 

Centering squares generally what they are called.  A 1 and 1/2 inch version works well for smaller dowels.   Some pen turning sites also sell versions like Pete's and many make their own as he did as some like the longer length as it is easier for them to hold it and the blank at once while marking.

61KCLnUXtgL._SL1500_.jpg

Woodcraft has a pocket version.

View a Larger Image of Pen Blank Key Chain Center Finder

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gliders said:

Aussies make the best homebrew tools pete .  Was  worth sending you all out there for that alone , personaly I would let some of you back in ....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:--

In times past isolation may have had something to do with it  Pete.

Today it's probably boredom.  I made that one about 10 years ago and still comes in handy.

Travis, that's a beauty :D too.

Pete

Estimating the centre of a small circle is easier than a large circle. Applying this principle:

1 - Open the bench vice slightly.

2 - Place the dowel on top of the jaws.

3 - place palm of hand on dowel and lightly push back and forth so the dowel rotates.

4 - touch a pencil on the end of the dowel while rotating.

5 - estimate the centre of the small circle.

You can adjust the vice jaws to get the best rotation. This method has worked well for me.

Dave

• Like 1