finlander

how much psi to push Createx

I just finished spraying a bait with my pasche vl. I always set my regulator to about 23-25 psi. I use the bottle tops to spray directly out of the createx bottle. I don't thin. I think at 45 psi you would have so much air blowing around it would be hard to control and not make a mess.

Just a note, but my I like my air tank to have close to 100 psi in it and have my regulator set to 25psi. this way the air flow is steady.

I bought mine at HD an haven't been entirely happy with it. I would suggest you buy the largest tank you can because the constant running is really annoying!

Overkill,

I am very surprised that you don't thin the createx. With my Paasche or Iwata I sincerely doubt I could get the paint to even exit the brush without thinning much less keep from clogging.

jed v.

I don't thin them, in fact I tried and I didn't like the results. I use the smallest tip on my VL and like the results. I am by no means a master. I have spent much more time learning the art of mold making and lure design over the past few years. I am just now focusing on perfecting my paint jobs.

Also The Auto Air paints seem to be a tad thinner. I love using the Auto Air paints with the siphon caps on them. It really saves alot of time, mess, and conserves alot of paint. It also keeps foreign particles out.

One other thing-The Auto Air reducer works great with other acrylic craft paints that come to thick, but hopefully I will switch completely to Auto Air and not need to use it anymore.

So in a nutshell, it goes like this: Smaller the tank, smaller the price but constant running. Larger the tank, more cost, but not the constant on/off as the small ones, and this saves the wear and tear. Do I have it right??? :cry: Are there small compressors out there that have no control of the outflow? I cannot tell on this Scorpion I by SilentAire. 45 psi auto shutoff. That's all I know. Thanks.

I have been routinely using40 psi for more than 4 years. No problems.!!!

If I am doing a bait with small spots like a Rainbow Trout, then I will drop it to 20 PSI . but most of the time I use 40# My baits can be seen on the Muskie Inc. Chapter 9 website. Under the baitmakers section look at Smuttly Dog baits..

That's essentially it Finlander. If you are going to just be doing a few lures here and there the smaller tanks will meet your needs. To my knowledge the pressure can be regulated on all of them.

Good to see you here Mark!!! Smuttley Baits are awesome!!

Overkill,

Oh, you are shotting "auto air", maybe that's why you are able to get away with it. I am shooting the regular createx, whatever that is. I will have to try some auto air and see how I like it.

Jed V.

I shoot the regular Createx and "Auto Air"

If you can find a shop that sells auto body repair and auto paint supplies see if they carry Auto Air. Go in and look and the color book. Its freakin ridiculus. when you pick up a bottle to try, purchase the siphon tube cap with it. No mess, no mixing , no cleaning paint jars or cups. The color selection is just sick man.

Finlander,

You'll find a lot of uses for your compressor around the house so get a larger one. I have a 13 gal, 5 hp. It is noisey but does not run much other than initial start up. I use mine for everything from blowing out my sprinkler system to unplugging drains, you feel " special " when you use an impact gun to take your wheels off.

I recently saw an advertised 22 gal CH complete with all the toys, but the motor was only 1.7, perhaps this is quieter but not sure how the hp affects performance.

Have you been musky fishing?

Heading to the moon next week, and LOTW in two weeks,,,, hope to be able to share some pics from my lures.

Going today actually, to a lake that is only 320 acres but is loaded with them. Went to Birch Island Lodge 3 weeks ago and fished for 4 dayz w/o seeing a thing. We were there for 5 days but after 3 days of nothing but I had to take a day off on that Thursday. Good luck on your trip. Thanks for the tips on the compressors.

I am a OLD airbrusher started in 78 and I only owned ONE compressor, used it about 30 times.

Most of my work has been in the Taxidermy field, also have done motorcycle fenders and tanks.

I use CO2 as my air supply, It's inexpensive, requires absolutely NO maintenance and is DEAD quiet, works anywhere and no worry of fires when using lacquer based paints.

You can rent the tank from a welding supply company or beer/pop distributor. For the price of a decent air compressor you can have a LOT of clean dry, quiet, dry and dependable air.

I still have the gauges I bought in 78 and they are working fine. Make sure you get the dual gauges.

This is a GREAT alternative to buying a compressor.

It's funny you mention that BigR. I was down watching a guy paint body tatoos at our local rodeo a few weeks back and he was using CO2. My only concern is that I would use so many tanks that it would get to be a nuisance. I will empty a 25 gallon tank at 120 psi in about 3 hours of spraying. If the CO2 would last for say 20 hours it would probably be worth it. Of course a guy could get a very large bottle of the CO2 but then you must deal with moving the beast from your vehicle to the painting room........guess that's where my wife comes in, lol.

regards,

Jed V.

Bought a VL and an ok compressoe yesterday and today. Fired up the comp and attached the VL. Stopped the outflow at 25 psi. Did NOT attach the paint bottle. Also, did NOT let the compressor build up enuff pressure to shut off automatically. I am wondering why the 'trigger' ( button for air/paint) did not pop back up after I took my finger off of it. I had to pull it up with thumb and index finger. Then the air quit pushing through. Do you lube these things? Pressure need to be higher?? I have never picked an airbrush before. Thanks.

I cleaned my Paasche impoperly and damaged the rubber O-ring (valve washer) in the air valve assembly. It worked out of its location and jammed the valve plunger making the trigger stick in the down position.

I can not imagine this happening on a new brush, but here is the brush schematics in case you want to inspect the air valve assembly.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/2005_parts/V_VJR,VL_VLS%20Airbrushes.pdf

Thanks. I'll check it out. I tried the VL for the first time today with Createx straight, no delution. Sprayed for a few seconds then it stopped. Don't know if it clogged, needed more pressure or the paint needed to be watered down. I disassembled it afterwards, washed everything down. Did not have Windex to run thru it. Maybe I'll try again tonight. I bought the airbrush at the local Hobby Lobby. There was 2 there a week before. The one that was still shrunk wrapped was sold, I got the opened box. It is possible that this was a returned item. Hope not.

Very possible you got a return that someone messed up. If it keeps acting up on you I would take it back for a replacement or a refund. On a new VL that trigger shouldn't stick in any position. Sounds like someone used it and didn't clean it correctly.

If they won't play nice at the store, remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!