Hoodaddy

? about ETEX

I've see Etex mentioned as the prefered clear coat for some on this site.I've been using other products and am not real happy so far so can anyone tell me a little about it,where to get it and pros and cons if any....... I have been doing this for a awhile now and never seem to stop learning something new. Thanks

Envirotex-lite is a waterproof 2-part epoxy coating, available through or at Ace Hardware, Michael's, and various other sources, and is popularly used as a bar-top coating or used to coat diplomas etc. I find it much more user friendly than Devcon, while others think it is a pain compared to 2-ton. It has a much longer cure time enabling you to coat several lures at a time, it is much easier to get a bubble-free finish, (if you can breathe, you can release the bubbles), and it has a bit of flex compared to 2-ton, which gives it better impact resistance. I never get anything but a smooth finish with it. Like anything else, it has a learning curve. It must be turned at about 4 rpm for a few hours on a lure dryer. You must mix it thoroughly and precisely one to one. It goes a long way, because you just don't waste any with its long cure time, which also simplifies clean up. I buy the 16 oz kit from Ace for a little over 12 bucks. I also take advantage of Michael's 50% off newspaper coupons to get it for about 8 bucks. I generally use 2 coats for bass lures. Like any epoxy, I use it in a temperature and humidity contolled environment. It became my coating of choice because I liked its overall performance. After I'd done a bunch of lures, I realized how much money I was saving. Dean

I too use e-tex. Not real happy with it but I guess it is better than most.

I get very few bubbles and can do about 6 baits at a time. It is very important to an exactly equal mix. I mix in the container I measure in then pour to a fresh container and mix for at least 2 min then repour to the original container and mix another 2 min. There will be countless tiny bubbles form. Allow to set for about 5 min. then paint on with a fairly fine bristle brush. The brushes are a little expensive but can be cleaned in lacquer thinner. I turn by hand over a can of Sterno, be sure to hold high enough that the bait doesn't heat up. I also on occasion use a hair dryer on the low air setting. The Sterno is for the few remaining bubbles and the hair dryer is to warm the epoxy for a smooth finish. As I get to the last couple of baits the e-tex begins to thicken a little and the heat helps in forming a uniform thickness. Then hang and let dry. The epoxy will flow and with the first baits done will form small blobs of epoxy on the low side which can be wiped away after about a hour. I use three coats. Our baits constantly roll then reverse which causes severe hook rakes. The e-tex isn't perfect but does protect the bait for a reasonable time. Forgot to mention if using plastic cups to mix use a plastic or wood mixer so small bits of mixing cup aren't scraped off and become imbeded in the mix. Our baits are 9 inches long and take 3 coats neadless to say we go through a lot of e-tex.

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

atomic-cow-large_208.jpg

1658_thumb.attach

Etex sounds a whole lot like the one product I've had my best success with.What I have tried is called Finish-cure 20min.Its a waterproof epoxy that gives a longer working time.I can usually get 10-12 baits out of one mixing.Comes in a set of 13oz. bottles.It has a slight elasticity to it when cured (you can dent it with your nail if you put some pressure on it) but it seems to hold up well and I have'nt seen any bad signs of yellowing. I just was'nt sure if it was strong enough to last over a long period of time.So far (2 yrs.)the baits coated with it still seem o.k..Thanks for the repies,I did'nt know if I had to re-think my clear coat situation.