fatfingers

Three piece crankbaits

I'm considering builidng a crankbait using three separate pieces of wood.

First, make the frame similar to my Magnum Flatshad shown below.

flatshadmaxitennshad.jpg

Next add two pieces of wood, one on each side of the head/gill area to add a bit of bulk, body, and vibration.

Not sure if it will work, but I'm going to give it go as soon as the whitetail rut is over. (Muskies and whitetails are my two passions)

I'm thinking that I'll taper and shape the two pieces I add to the head/gill area so that they blend in with the lines of the bait overall.

If I can shape the three pieces together properly it will look more like the real thing and provide a larger area for attaching the lexan lip.

Anyone every tried anything similar?

interesting idea. I know Megabait has a little craw bait that has pinchers attached near the end of the bait.

I would put these pieces at least as far back as behind your gill line on that bait. I would think if you get them much closer to the lip it might disturb the action of the bait. Just my two cents.

Try getting some veneer sheets cut to the gill/lip shape u want and glue them on the bait, u can add more layers to built up the bulk if u want to. Veneers are thin enough to conform to the small curve u have on ur bait. This method does render the detailing a bit 2 dimensional. Personally I like carving the details out as like ur idea it gives a more 3D look to the detail, but this is a workable alternative - a bit of cheating B) if ur're a purist :P

I have experimented some with this idea. I used to put additional layers on just the head of the bait so that the bait would taper toward the tail. It did look cool but added a considerable amount of time to construction. You could of course just cut out the shape of your bait on a vertical plane, turn the bait on its side and cut out the horizontal form. This is not so easy though when you are cutting out large bait such as those for musky. My bandsaw blade tends to flex a bit when there is two inches of it flying through the wood.

Jed V.

LaPala, thats an interesting idea you have about using veneer. I hadn't thought of that. Veneer would be easier to shape and the layering would be a great way to figure how much is enough because you could simply count or keep track of how many layers you use on each bait.

I also carve a bit, but I'm still in a learning curve (fancy way of saying I'm not that good at it yet.

RiverMan, I have the same problem with my bandsaw. It won't handle too much in the way of mass. How did your experiments work when you beefed up the head of the bait like that?