Cliff

Primer Dipping ??

After years of hearing about it, I finally broke down and tried dipping lure into primer. Tried the KILZ 2, BEHR waterbased exterior primer, and even CLS lacquer surface primer (what I normally spray). I've had the same problem with all. After dipping, initially they look great, after a few min., seems like entrapped air tries to get out and creates a bunch of surface bubbles that don't pop. Am I missing a step ?? Need a sealer first ?? Special dipping technique ?? I've only tried it on mahogany so far. Thanks for any help. Cliff

You are not the Lone Ranger with this problem. The bubbles are caused from air that is trapped in the pores of the wood when you dip it. You can put a coating of polyurathane on the bait, let it dry, and then lightly sand the bait smoothe. This will seal up alot of the pores and really cut down on the amount of the bubbles. That is the best advice that I have to give.

Skeeter

Try playing with the thickness of ur primer & for the first coat, soak instead of dip & swirl the blank a round a bit in the primer when u do it. A thiner primer & longer soaking with swirling gets most of the gas in the wood out & will be displaced by the primer.

another thing ou can do is warm up you baits before you dip them. this will cause the air in the wood to expand. after you dip them allow them to cool down to room temp. This will cause the air in the wood to constrict thus drawing the primer into the bait reducing or eliminating the off-gassing that causes the bubles.