stevo

weight per size on balsa crankbait

i was wondering if there is a system to use when matching the weight (how much lead) to the size of lure you going to make and how the lip size and angle effect the depth. iam trying to make crankbaits out of balsa that are about 2.5 inches 3 inches max. long. iam trying to get a system together . any advice would be great thanks :cry:

On a new bass crankbait series, I test float the bait to see how much ballast will give it the right float attitude and bouyancy. Do it on a waterproofed bait with all hardware/trebles installed, but not yet painted or clearcoated. Hang lead solder on the belly hook. Weigh it or measure its length when you get the right amount. Once you have it, put in the ballast and test the bait on the water to confirm the amount and its position. Write that down and you have a pretty dependable ballast number for subsequent baits of the same series. You have to strike a ballance between too much ballast, killing the action, or too little, making the bait squirrelly and unpredictable. I haven't found any substitute for testing.