fishnguy78

molds and foam release agents

I hadn't read about any foam updates in a while and I'm about to go crazy trying to find a better release agent so my baits don't stick in the molds or break pieces off when I demold the bait. Any of you foamers having much success with the pmc 790 rubber molds and a good release agent with the 16# foam? I've tried Mann's ease release, talc, and vaseline each one and also in different combinations but not getting great results. Talc seemed to work the best but still getting some baits breaking off in the mold about one of every three baits, which isn't to good IMHO. Am I just pissin' into the wind, so to speak, or is there a better release agent that I'm not aware of for the pmc-790 molds?

Anyone using the 16# foam with any other rubber type molds with better results? Also How many baits are you producing and how are your molds standing up? Desperately searching for answers. :)

Well, I finally gave up on foam a long time ago. Just too many problems

to overcome.

Give RTV silicone and Feather Light a try. Works much better, but Feather Light is a pain in the a$$ to mix. Part B has many crystals to mix up,

and some of it won't mix at all. The last time I used it, I had to strain

it after mixing. I sent Smooth ON an email about this problem, never

heard a word.

Coley

Hi Fishguy,

I'am currently using a two-shot mold made of silicone J.I've never used a mold release agent.To speed up the process I paint the inside of the mold with a white automotive acrylic lacquer. After 30min.I demold and the paint sticks to the lure not the silicone.Then they're ready to paint any colour I want.Don't give up.I pulled my hair out for six months,but now it's routine.By the way keep an eye on the 'Outdoor Channel'they did an article about fishing North Australia and a section on me and my lures about 2 weeks ago.

Good luck Barramundi

Hi Artbrush,

The rubber I'am using is made by Dow Corning and is called 'Silicone J'.I can't find a data sheet to give you the shore hardness but I suggest you go to the Dow Corning site where there will be info on the product.Yes most split molding processes require a cleaning of the seam line after de-molding.The company I deal with measures foam density as 'free rise density' in this case it's 450kg/m3.A urethane dealer should be able to do the conversion to imperial.

regards Barramundi