Joshua Russell

wood lathe question

Hello to everyone on this wonderful site. My question is concerning purchasing a wood lathe. I am a newbie at making my own baits and I need solid advice on how and what to look for. I have looked at a grizzley mini lathe and also a delta. The delta looks really solid, and it heavily built, but to be honest I dont really know which to choose. Or if there are other good suggestions you might have. Also, I would like to get some good quality wood turning tools, and any suggestions on accessories is much appreciated. Thank you for looking, and I look forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks again. Joshua

I have a 8690 Grizzly and the Jet mini. Know a number of people who have the Delta mini. The Delta and Jet are pretty similar. Both better than the Grizzly, though more expensive. Really depends on how much you plan to use it. The Grizzly is a decent lathe. Still use mine and have had it for 5 years. Both the Jet and Delta have extension beds if you plan on doing larger stuff other than plugs. If you are just starting out, only doing plugs, and want to save $$, the Grizzly would be a good buy.

Andrew

Joshua-

If you have a full size drill press, you may want to consider an attachment called the Vertilathe. Like you, I was looking into buying a mini lathe when I found this other option. If you're interested, Google it for details. (Shop various vendors as the prices vary.) I've been using it to turn pine, basswood and jelutong and am very happy with it. The best part is that it cost less than 60 bucks. That left me an extra couple hundred dollars to blow (I mean wisely spend) on other lure making stuff.

Rollo

joshua

i have been turning plugs for close to 20 years and have found that the jet lathes are among the best that i have used along with the sorby tools they hold the edge better than most this may cost a little more but it is worth it in the long run

keep plugging along shadow