wantsome

Airbrush noobie needs advice

Hi all,

I bought a airbrush about year ago but only used it once. I recently decided to dig it out of the closet and put it to some use painting fishing lures.

I have a paasche modle "V". how are my options with this brush, is it versitile as to painting lures?

I been doing some homework as to paints and I see alot of people use createx. Where can I get some do hobby shops cary it?

The first thing I did when I bought my airbrush was bend the needle so I'm gonna have to replace it. What size should I get?

I paint with a VL and dont have any problems with it at all.As a matter of fact its the best one I've had so far.If you still have the original box it should have come w/ extra needles and cones.I spray with either the # 1 or 2 depending on whether I'm using a lot of metallics or pearls (#2). As for Createx you can find it at Michaels,Hobby Lobby or probably any hobby store in your area.I personally use Pactra (Testors acrylic).They have a good choice of colors and it sprays well for me w/30-40 lbs.

Thx for the help hoodady

The first time I used the brush I tried Testors modle paint. I was told to thin it by the people at the hobby shop. I had no idea what I was doing so I just added some thinner. It sprayed like crap. Maybe cause the needle was bent or I didnt have enough pressure. I was using a spray can.

I'm gonna do my first real paint job on a lure this Saturday when I get the stuff I need. The kit came with two needles each different, one short and stuby, the other was fine and real pointy. I bent the fine needle. So I'm gonna pick a couple needles up.

As for a compressor I kinda have a idea of what to buy. I was told I want one with a tank and personaly I'd like to keep it under $100 is this one a good buy any sujestions?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=223844-45003-L14PKL&lpage=none

Also do you thin your testors paint? and when your done do you clear coat it?

Make sure you arrange to have the compressor set up so you can control the pressure output.

Using an airbrush requires much less pressure than inflating tires for example. If you knew that forgive me, but I didn't know that when I bought my first brush.

Controlling the air pressure plus the consistency of the paint by thinning allow you much more control over the painting process itself.

Experiment with it on some scrap materials. Well worth the time.

Make sure you arrange to have the compressor set up so you can control the pressure output.

Using an airbrush requires much less pressure than inflating tires for example. If you knew that forgive me' date=' but I didn't know that when I bought my first brush.

Controlling the air pressure plus the consistency of the paint by thinning allow you much more control over the painting process itself.

Experiment with it on some scrap materials. Well worth the time.[/quote'] Could you elaborate on this. Arrange what with who? Isnt it ready to run out of the box? I thought I could turn the air down if needed.

I hope you did'nt mis-understand me about when I said Testors.I was refering to their acrylics,not enamels although you can use them(lot more clean up).I've tried both and its acrylics for me hands down.JMO
Ok thx, I'm gonna take a ride to some hobby shops today and check some paint out.

Ive used the Testors too, but pricey for quanity you get .. I just shoot it straight .. its already about the same or lil thiner than createx. I guess its ok if you just want to do a few lures, cost wise.

I bought a cheap-o airbrush 5 bucks at Frieght Harbor tools on sale , I also found some at Big Lots for 7.99 reg price looks very simular to the ones I bough at F.H.

I want to get a better airbrush.. but 80-150 bucks is more than I want to spend. And so far the ones I bought do fine, I'm gonna hit the estate sales, and flea markets strating in the spring and see If I can find a good cheap used high end model, for detail work.

I started out paint wise with the cheap craft paint, and then with coaxing from others here bought some Createx colors, is easier to spray right out of the bottle no thinning. I do spray at 40psi though. Im still using craft paint for some things when I need to spray small shots of red like for under the head like the gills are bleading etc.. I just couldnt fig out how much to thin till bought createx to have something to compare it to, now I can mix it as good as createx, and use panty hose to strain it when painting larger areas

Thx for the tip northrivergeek.

I went out today and picked up a compressor at walmart on sale for $68. It has a 2 gallon tank and rated at 100psi. I think I'm gonna have to get an adaptor for the airbrush hose and compressor hose they dont conect.

I also picked up a needle and some createx. I got luckey it was the last needle in town (Detroit Mi). I got a florecent createx kit for $12.50. Damn those little testors bottles of paint arent cheap. I'm gonna go and shell out $60 on testors tomarrow.

THERE'S NO NEED TO DROP ALL THAT CASH ON CREATEX PAINTS UNLESS YOU NEED TRANSPARENTS OR PEARLS. I HAVE BEEN PAINTING FOR THREE YEARS AND HAVE FOUND THAT THE CHEAP ACRYLICS OFFER MORE COLOR OPTIONS AS WELL AS FORGIVENESS IN FADING. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO MIX WITH WATER TO THE CONSISTENCY OF MILK. FOR 95% OF LURE PAINTING, IT WOULD BE WISE TO USE THE FINE NEEDLE WITH THE PAASCHE AIRBRUSH. THIS MODEL IS TRULY A WORK HORSE AND WILL PROVIDE YEARS OF DEPENDABLE SERVICE.

Could someone explain the differences in laquers, enamels, and acrylics. What I'm wondering is can I paint enamals on top of acrylics? I want to reproduce the pattern sunnyside up, Blades said he used all laquers. I dont know what a laquer paint is. I tried finding the colors in acrylics but couldnt find all of them. I found some of the colors in enamels and some in acrylics.

You can use enamels over acrylics or vise versa.You cannot use enamels and laquers because you will get a crackle finish like in antiquing.Not sure about acrylics and laquers.The thinners in the Laquer is too hot.I've shot all three but am happiest with acylics.A lot more user freindly.JMHO
Well put thx

As far as I can tell myself, you should have no problem mixing media. However, I haven't tried enamel over acrylic yet. I have painted many lures with acrylic over enamel though. I haven't had any problems that haven't been my fault. Always let the paint completely dry between layers. The exception would be in color fading when you are using the same type of paint. Hope this helps and happy painting.

Well I spayed my first lure. I have about 20 old salmon spoons so I sanded the old pain off of one. I used a createx base coat wich ran smooth at about 35 psi. Then I painted over it with C tex chartruse wich splatterd a little at 35 psi. Then I got a fish net stocking and painted over it with testors acrylic simi gloss black at the same psi. I didnt thin any of the paints they all ran good except the yellow splatterd a little. All in all everything went good. Thx to everyone with the tips.

You can thin acrylics with water or Windex.adding a very small MEASURED amount a little at a time until its thinned.Enamels: use a media specifically made by that company.You could use a number of different thinners but I prefer the ones sold for that specific product.JMO With spoons I would probably use an automotive sanding primer with enamel paints and 1 thin coat of E-tex just to protect the paint somewhat.With toothy critters and metal spoons the paint wont last forever anyway.