ThePurpleEagle

Newbie getting started

I would like to try my hand at making some lures. I've read a ton of great posts on this site. I have an entire workshop full of tools so I'm positive that I can make lures (I make furniture and have done decoy carving in the past)

Is there a post or site where I can get some beginner patterns? I'd like some more info about the lips. I've read posts about different shapes, but how do you know what SIZE to make them, and at what angle? Is it mostly trial and error? If someone could point me in the correct direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, and I'm excited about getting started on this.

PM

Glad to see we have another hard bait maker among us. Alot of what you'll be doing at first is trial and error.We will try to help you through the error part. Try your hand at a popper first,then go from there.After you've gotten the hang of poppers,try a minnow bait like a rapala.you can pull one from your tackle box to use as a pattern.

I feel compelled to WARN you that your playing around with a very addictive hobby!!!!! If you have any questions,get them posted so we can help you out..Nathan

Hey Eagle,

All of us started at one time or another. If it wasn't for

Jerry, Tim, Skeeter, Celt, Nathan, Ken and many others.

It would of taken me no telling how long to learn the

basics.

They shared a wealth of knowledge with me and I am willing

to share what I have learned from them with you.

Using a proven design to start with, helps a lot.

The first lure I made sunk, wrong wood and too much

weight. It swims OK. Would probably work OK along

a deep bluff as a countdown.

I get frustrated as of today. I hope you know how to

cuss and throw things. LOL

Coley

PurpleEagle,

The best way I can suggest is to get one of your favorite lures and copy it. That way you have something that you know works. You have something physically in your hands that you can study and refer to as you make your own copy of it. Getting measurements for lips, line tie placement, and body size are right there in your hands. After you get the hang of how stuff works and how to build the baits then you can start to design your own and make them. It is alot of fun but it takes patience. You can get help from all of us on how to do certain things or better ways to improve things. There is a TON of tallent on this site. All you have to do is ask. You will get an answer here. What would you like to make? Let us know, we would be glad to help you.

Skeeter