jasone

Painting--Rattle Cans??

Hello again everyone.

This stuff is addicting. I have gotten the carving part down. I have gotten the assembly and adding the wires down. I have gotten the faux foil method down.

And at last I got the devcon down (hope its safe to use semi-indoors).

My big problem is with paint. I ordered a cheapo paintbrush w/propel and some acrylics from Walmart. I got the color mixing figured out finally but I can't seem to shoot the paint very well at all.

I thought about switching to rattle cans after seeing what Fir3 Tig3r and others have done here with it.

I am wondering what rattle cans you guys use and how you use them. Do you mask? Stencil? What? Would someone please tutorialize (made up word) this? or at least give me a general clue.

Thanks for all of your help. I couldn't have gotten started without you all.

J

hello there!

too late to back out now, addictive ain't it? heheheh

well, trick to using rattle can sprays are:

1. have patience, do 1 thin layer at a time to allow proper drying of each layer before proceeding with the next. thick layers tend to clump & bubble under heat.

2. masking stenciling. yes, i learnt it from LaPala. if u MASK the lure, for example u put a masking tape and cut out the pattern and paint over it, it will give sharp edges to the design. suitable for gill & black spot.

if u stencil the lure, with some distance, it gives a more 'feathered' edge that are subtle and blends better, with a not so distinct edge. i'm still working on this method.

3. bug LaPala.heheheheh...but he's been MIA for a while now...his computer died

[quote="

My big problem is with paint. I ordered a cheapo paintbrush w/propel and some acrylics from Walmart. I got the color mixing figured out finally but I can't seem to shoot the paint very well at all.

J

If you thin the cheapo acrylics with 20-30% windex it will spray better. you will need to apply a number of coats to get solid coverage though.

I reccomend getting an air compressor for spraying thou you'll go broke buying the propellant in cans.

Ditto on the compressor.If you acn possibly scrimp and save for comp. and decent A/B you'll not be sorry.You're only going to get out whatever you put into it.You'll learn.....LOL I think all of us found out thru trial and error for the most part.You're lucky you found this site when you did.Great bunch of guys and extremely knowledgeable (?? not like my spelling).

Lapala's computer died !?! Anyone know if he is able to get fixed, hate to lose his input here because he cant get it fixed for what ever reason be it financial or other wise. I'm a computer tech by trade, have access to all kinds of parts and computers.. If someone can reach him by other means.. see if he can email me on someone Else's computer and Ill see what I can do to help a brother out.

Hi,I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to make some great paint job whitout a good airbrush!!!and for the compressor you can get one for 100$and lessI pay 70$ can. and it work very nice!!!for the brush I pay 100$ and I't ok but i'm sure that I could have a better one!I am sending you a pic of what I can make whit my air brush!for a example!

Cheers,Dan

ps:there's no clear on the lures be the way!!!!

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

cosmic_dan_672.jpg

1731_thumb.attach

I'm quite happy with what I can do with rattle-cans (click here to see example) though it's true that painting finer details with rattle cans can be a chore.

Like what F/Tig3r said, doing thin layers & wait to dry or lightly hair dryer it if u can't wait :) is most important. Also try out different brands of rattle paints, not all are created the same, some brands spray better than others (I can't help with brands as what's available to me is totally diff from what u'll get). Try checking out graffity painting online stores to see what stuff are available. There are some diff rattle can tips that u get for finer or thinner sprays.

I'm not sure what problems u are having with rattle can but if u need help, ur welcome to PM me. I'll help with what I know though painting is not really my strong point. But ifu already have an air-brush keep practicing, it's definately worth the effort.