oldthunder

Easy paint removal before clear coating

Hey guys......signed up a couple of days ago and what a great place to be!!!! :D

I've been air-brushing lures for quite awhile now using both Createx and AutoAir. Now, I'm not perfect and certainly have been unsatisified with several attempts. I have found a quick and easy way to remove these paints from your lures if you've made a boo-boo.

Fill a mason jar 3/4" full with Methyl Hydrate. Using a pair of needle nosed Vise-Grips, clamp onto a hook eye, and dunk the lure into the Methyl Hydrate. Let it soak for about 3 - 5 minutes. That's enough time to soften the paint. Quickly take the lure out of the jar, and wipe it down with a soft rag (i.e.old T-shirt). Any paint that is left on the lure can be easily scrubbed off by dipping the shirt into the Methyl Hydrate and rubbing the old paint away. Quick, easy, painless, and the best part, ODORLESS!!!

Of course, large stickbaits and glide baits will need a bigger jar.

Hope this helps :D......... Oldthunder

I have found no damage to the plastic hard bodies, or the lips. Methyl Hydrate is alot less damaging than lacquer thinner, or acetone on these plastics. Have even used it on Lexan lips with no problems whatsoever. Came up with this idea, when it was reccommended to me to use Methyl Hydrate to clean my air-brushes after using these water based paints.

I use an automotive flat white primer (spray can, either Plastikote or Duplicolor), and have found that the Methyl Hydrate will only take off the Createx/AutoAir to the flat white enamel. It will take the primer too, with considerable elbow grease though.

Dwain:

You can get Methyl Hydrate at any automotive outlet, (i.e. Napa) or hardware store (i.e. Lowe's, Home Depot)

The other name for it is "gas line antifreeze". We Canucks cannot live without it during our winters. Keeps ours cars and trucks running when the temps get brutal. :(

You can buy it in any quantity. I usually use alot so I buy it in the 4 litre container, that's a gallon to you. :D