LaPala

Paintbooth

I promised to post paintbooth I'm building long time ago. Well finally I built it, so here's the pics. Down draft design based on these 2 articles:

1. http://www.interlog.com/~ask/scale/tips/booth.htm

2. http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial.asp?TutorialID=23&CurPage=1

Pictures shows it with the associated mess.

Front View

medium.jpg

Back View

medium.jpg

Material used: 1pcs plywood 4X8', & some support wood strips

Dimension: 32" wide 24" deep, total height 29" ( a bit big but I use rattle-cans remember :D)

Fan: a brushless table top fan with motor polarity reversed, on high I can use the booth as a carving booth as well, clear part u see from back is an acrylic drawer to collect the shavings & dust plus is the where I stuff the filter while painting.

PS: Don't ask me questions till u've read the 2 articles B) :-D The design & requirement should be apparent from what's explained in the articles.

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

schematics_260.pdf

Osram PLC 6500K bulbs. (6500K as it simulaates sunlight spectrum so I get a more accurate representation of the colors when viewed under sunlight --- for those night time couldn't resist it painting sessions :D ). 2 left and right and a 3rd one in front forming a triangle. left & right to one on/off swith & front seperate switch.

Oh, it triple duty as my photo booth as well. B) The front light is more for photo taking rather than painting.

Looks great, LP.

I've planning to build one this spring and I'm considering placing glass on the sides so that I can place the lights outside the booth against the glass. I'm also considering placing the glass against the side in such a way that it can be removed periodically and cleaned. I'm thinking that having the lights outside the booth will be an extra measure of safety.

It looks like the size you built is very versatile. Do you have any problems with the fumes escaping back into the room? I can't tell whether or not you have plastic hanging down from the clear cover that you look through as you paint.

Fatfingers, if u study the schematics, lights are outside the booth but it's place ontop. The white of the inside reflects enough light to make putting lights by the side not necessary.

No plastic in front except for clear cover. The downdraft design actually produce a curtain of air preventing any fumes escaping. U have to get the CFM of ur fans just right though. But if clear cover is up then it is not as effective

Good God LP what a masterpiece.

Furniture grade plywood (looks like mahagany sp)

Zoned daylight lighting with independant control.

You beat everything bro LOL.

Just make damn sure the next picture dont have certain paint containers faced where the writing can be read LOL !

Oh,just send me the drawings in Auto Cad or Solid Works :D I can take it from there.

Hey Bobby,I guess this puts the old vent hood thing to shame huh?

Good job LP :!:

You the man dude :!:

Blades

Good God LP what a masterpiece.

Furniture grade plywood (looks like mahagany sp)

Zoned daylight lighting with independant control.

You beat everything bro LOL.

Just make damn sure the next picture dont have certain paint containers faced where the writing can be read LOL !

Oh' date='just send me the drawings in Auto Cad or Solid Works :D I can take it from there.

Hey Bobby,I guess this puts the old vent hood thing to shame huh?

Good job LP :!:

You the man dude :!:

Blades[/quote']

No kidding... I really like the design. That is on the todo list for the new work space. :)

You're welcoe fatfingers.

Blades U make me blush :oops: I'll be careful about paint container labels next time but I have a hard time reading the labels in pic, ur eyes must be keener than an eagles LOL. As for plans sry didn't draw any for this one, since I don't plan on building another one, it's all just meassure & cut with "plan as u go plans" :P

With all the air brushes and compressors Santa dropped off to the TU members not on the Nasty List (like me), I thought it was a good time to pull up this thread, dust it off, and get the creative juices going on this. If you’ve got a few days before going back to work, this would might be a good project. Paint fumes can cause headaches not just for you, but for the Mom person too! (and when Momma got a headache, EVERY ONE’s gotta headache)