FishPork

Yall Have Done Your Homework!

Hi! Im just joining and have been Soaking all of this info in for quite some time. I have turned out some neat equipment and processes due to the massive knowledge shared on this site. Heck, My first crank turned out to be awesome! Now for my turn to pick your brain a little. Ive read just about all the lips installation threads and one queston keeps arising,When devcon is applied is the lip in or out and if in/ How the heck do ya keep it off the lip??????? Besides tape, It always bleeds through and gets on it anyway.

There is more than one way to do this. I fit my lip

before I paint my bait. After painting, I hold my

bait with the lip slot pointing up. I then put epoxy

in the lip slot and epoxy on the lip, I push the lip

into the bait and the excess epoxy runs down the

side of the bait from the lip slot. I finish clearcoating

the bait at this time. I have no epoxy on the lip when

it comes off the dryer. I donot hold my baits by the

lip while it is on the dryer. I use a hemostat on one

of the hook holders.

Two things are important when doing it this way,

1) use 2 ton (30 min) devcon epoxy.

2) lip must fit snug in lip slot, so it won't

move while lure is on dryer.

Coley

the other option would be to devcon the lip in and make sure it does not move until the devcon has set enough........then devcon the entire bait and spin just like Coley said. Keeping the devcon off the lip is not that hard you just have to take your time and be patient. The more you do the easier it will become. Now.......let's see this first bait!!!!!!

Tally

Thanks alot guys! Where my problem is is when the lure is coated and then spun,lip facing upwards or out on the wheel. the epoxy is comming back down on the lip very badly.It is not thinned and Im in a climate controlled shop with the temp around 72 constantly.I have varried my RPM's from 2 to ten and no change, even went to another store to purchase different lot of devcon 30 min 2 ton but to no avail the problem still persists???? I know this is one of those you gotta be here questions. Im figuring all this picture stuff out on my work p/c but I will post a few pics ASAP.

I don't think I have ever had the problem you are experiencing. I will take a "blind" stab at this. First, decon 2 ton is a 1 to 1 ratio and needs to be mixed together. How do you know if it is mixed? the devcon will be cloudy and then turn clear as you are mixing. Next, you need a to apply the devcon with a "stiff" brush and brushing the devcon down from one end to the other. DO NOT apply a thick coat.........I think this might be your problem. Like I said this is just a blind stab at your problem. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Tally