Hoodaddy

troubles????

O.K.Guys let me pick your brains.I have been working on a new prototype like a Norman Middle N and no matter what I've tried I cant get the darn thing to run.It will run and hunt a little then just rolls up on its side after a couple of feet.I've tried changing weight and placement,line tie out on bill where I want it and nearer body.I did'nt want to change bill angle a lot but before I do I wanted to ask.I've been doing other fat bodies in 2 sizes and lots of flats and no problems at all.How bout some suggestions...Thanks

I would say that the problem still lies in the two things that you are changing. Generally a bait will roll on its side because either there is not enough weight or the line tie is too close to the nose. If you have a long bill and the line tie is too close then the bait has a tendency to roll over on its side. If there is not enough weight to right the bait then it will stay on its side. Sometimes you can adjust the retrieve speed of the bait and it will do fairly well. but you want it to run correctly at pretty much any speed.

Skeeter

^mircata, also called g10. I believe most of the stuff in its industrial uses is green or black.

Hoodaddy, why don't you post a pic?

Skeeter, I'm sure has done far more experimenting and understands the physics more than I do. But one thought is, you need to apply what he says not only as it relates to the where the line-tie is on the bill, but how it relates to the bait as a whole.

For example, I saw a bait posted on here a while back (don't remember whose) that I was certain wouldn't run because, even though the line tie was around the middle of the lip, the lip was positioned so far down on the bait (away from the nose) and at such an angle, that the line-tie was effectively behind (or inside of) the nose, if that makes sense.

Of course, the fact that I put together a similar bait three or four years ago, which did nothing but roll, also made me understand the problem.