Trollfish

Air brushes??

I have been reading the posts like a mad man and have looked at all the great work here. You guys do fantastic baits. The painting is exceptional and I assume most is done by airbrush. I have tried to use them and find them to be very frustrating to work with. I have not used one that I like or get the results I want. Could be I'm cheap too and buy junk. I don't know. For the past three years, I have used spray paint in cans but don't get near the type of detail and finish I see here.

So here are my questions.

What is the recommended model you fellows use?.

How much is it?

How much maintnance does it require?

How fast can I switch colors or do I need to clean it before switching colors.( I like to wet blend colors for a more natural look)

I know that is a lot of questions, but any help or advice would be appreciated. :?

I would have to say any good airbrush will do a good job. I have only used a Passche VL dual action. It is fairly easy to use and to clean. When I use mine I just back flush it and go to the next color. I have a small container of water, take the jar off, empty and clean the jar, then put the pick up tube into the water, pull the trigger and hold your finger over the nozzle, take it off and put it back on again. This will back flush out any paint in the airbrush. When I am all done I take it apart and make sure it is clean. This is very easy to do. You can buy a Passche dual action from Harbor Freight Tools for $59.00 or less and they have free shipping on all orders over $50.00. Hope this is of some help and if you have any questions, email me or post your questions as you will get alot more ideas and help that way. Good luck Ken Schmitz Mylures

Hi Ken. Just a coincidence (hope I spelled that right) but last evening I was looking at my Pache VL dual action which I never used before but my X son-in-law used a few years ago and never cleaned after he used it. He was using vinyl paint which means it will probably be a bear to clean. I don't have a water trap and was wondering if you thought it necessary?

I am not mister mechanical but will attempt to take the air brush apart and clean it. Any tips you have will be appreciated. This will be my first attempt at using an airbrush we'll see what happens.

I want to decorate jigs that have been powder painted and also spray spinnerbaits. Do you think I should stick with vinyl paint or do you have a better suggestion. Thanks Ken. Pop

:D HI Pop, great to hear from you. I never used anything but acrylic paints. I'm not saying they are the best but the easy clean up is what I like. As far as cleaning up the airbrush, you may need to put in a few new parts. It is not a hard airbrush to take apart. I usually get my parts from dixie art supply. They have a parts list on their site and it shows the break down of each airbrush. If you have any specific question just email me or or post it as there are alot of people here that probably can help better than I can. I am no expert in airbrushes by no means. I am glad I learned how to use one. They are great and what you can do with them is amazing. Hope you enjoy the airbrush and hope to see some pictures soon. Good luck. Ken Schmitz. Mylures

Pop,

You can soak that sucker in hot soapy water and it should loosen up any paint in the gun if it is water based. If not then clean it with acetone. Put some on a Q-tip and scrub out as much as you can. Then just soak the gun in some acetone for about 5 min. and then use a dry Q-tip or cloth to wipe off the rest. I have a VL also and as far as I know there are no rubber O rings or seals that you have to worry about. The gun will break down easy. There are not alot of parts to it. Just take your time and be careful with the needle when you put it in and take it out. You don't want to bend the tip. I have had mine for 3 yrs. and have taken it completely apart many, many, times. It is easy and you will get the hang of it. If you have any problems or questions, let us know.

Skeeter

Hi,

I have tried a few brands and have always went back to paaschee airbrushes.I am not implying they are the best but they are reliable and last quite awhile.

I use several for different applications.Some for small lines and some for very heavy glitter coats and some for general color coating.

The single action set is a good starter.It is cheap and has 3 sizes of tips you can interchange.

Good luck!!

I use a Paasche H model single action airbrush. I have had this airbrush for more than 15 years and have sprayed leather dyes & finishes, water-based paints, petroleum-based paints, and epoxies. The brush has never given me any problems. I got a Paasche VL for Christmas last year but have not taken the time to learn to use it. I just can't seem to let go of my "H" model.

Gene