RangerZ

E-Tex Curing Problems

I normally use Devcon, but have been experimenting with Etex in order to get a thinner clear on some jerkbaits. Unfortunately, it seems that I having problems with it not curing properly. I have tried to be extremely accurate when mixing, but I am mixing only small amounts. Wonder if anyone else has had similar problems and if I mixed bigger batches if it might solve the problem. Thanks, Chris

You do have a smaller margin for error with small batches, but it's my guess that you didn't get it mixed thoroughly. I use measuring spoons which are accurate enough if you take your time, and usually mix using the 1/4 or 1/2 tsp. spoons in the concave bottom of an upside-down aerosol can placed in a jar for stability. I use 19 gauge SS wire (it's handy) bent in a circle to scrape my out my measuring spoons, necessary for accuracy, and, a larger circle of wire for mixing the e-tex. This way you can really whip the resin and hardener together, rapidly stirring and folding the mixture with the rounded wire flush against the can's concave surface, leaving absolutely none of it unmixed. By keeping the wire flush and seldom lifting, you help minimize the bubbles too. Wait about 10 minutes before using, and most of the bubbles will rise out, and the mixture will have thickened enough for optimum topcoating. Breathe on your lure to lift any remaining bubbles with your own CO2. Clean your utensiles and can bottom with alcohol after use. This method works well with epoxy.

Dean

Dean has it right. I use syringes that you can buy at animal feed stores to measure the etex out.....they are about a dollar each. I mix the etex in disposable plastic dixie cups from Wal-Mart.....a penny each. Mix thoroughly!!! Take your time, get the edges, get the bottom, etc. I have done thousands of baits and not one of them has been "uncured". Keep in mind tho that it dries a bit slower than Devcon.

RM