Palmetto Balsa

Propionate Sealer (plastic dip)/Topcoat over foil

Husky,

This is a follow up to your question about Propionate dip adhering to foil. I had reported having excellent success using Prop. dip over foil to seal the edges of the foil before painting and that it was crystal clear. Your question was that you had had trouble getting plastic dip (w/utensils) to stick to foil. I came to the conclusion that you might be right and I had other factors involves that helped me, and I would do some more research and report my findings.

You are correct. Prop. or plastic dip does not adhere direct to foil very well. Here is how I got the excellent results. I sealed the bait with propionate/acetone then I foiled it with netting under it. Here is the twist. I used a clear acrylic to seal a photo image on the foil and then heat set it. Then I dipped it back into propionate to seal the edges of the foil and smooth the surface for final painting. The the propionate adhered with a strong bond.

As far as the clarity of the dip. The key factor low humidity. On all prior attempts with prop. dip, it was drying with a milky white surface. In my region we had just had the first cold snap and the humidity was low, and for the time everything I dipped was perfectly clear and shined like a diamond. This is the results of the sealer/foil/image/sealer.

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

100_9919.jpg

1813_thumb.attach