muskysucker

What kind of paint??

I am looking to switch from water base to lacquer. I don't like water base paint because if i miss with epoxy the paint comes off right away. With lacquer base it will stay on for the most part. I was going to use car paint. There is a shop vary close to my house, and the price isn't to high for small bottles, and it should go a long way. And the colors are endless. I am adding duct work and a bigger motor to my paint booth. What paint are all of you using and a short reason why for a little help to me justifing this move I am going to make.

Muskysucker, I have been using lacquer paint for a few years now and absolutely love it. The main reasons I use them are the multitude of colors available and the quick drying time. I can spray a coat of lacquer and it will dry almost immediately. You can spray a batch of lures and turn around and spray another color almost imediately. As far as what I use, I like Dick Nite paints and I use a lot of taxidermy paint. The prices are quite reasonable. Be sure you use a good NIOSH approved mask. The fumes are the only disadvantage.

Muskysucker- I use acrylic paint because of the simplicity of the cleanup. I can spray a set of lures one color and be spraying the next color in a few seconds. As long as the airbrush is set right and a good water filter is used on the air compressor, I have no problems. For the final clearcoat I use a one part epoxy, Top Secret, that has a shelf life of two years. It's a slow drying epoxy that takes 48 hours to completely dry to a rock hard deep clear finish that will never yellow. Only drawback is it doesn't like humidity. Living on the Texas coast we have plenty of that so I bring the lures inside the house and turn on the dehumidifier.

Hope this helps!

I started with acrylic but just wasn't happy with their durability. I was reluctant about the cleanup of laquer but found that IMHO is was easier to clean than acrylic(for me, anyway)Now it's all I use.

Benefits: fast drying, fairly durable,good colors( Testors Pactra, Polytranspar)

Drawbacks: fumes ( Be sure to wear a respirator) and the thinner is a little more expensive than water.lol

GOOD LUCK!

I will be trying the Dicknite's in the future.

Moving to automotive paint requires homework, and lots of it. Painting small items like lures pose an additional hazard of handling the paints. I'm not 100% sure with laquer paints, but the Urethane paints are just as deadly inhaled as they are absorbed through the skin. Additionally, these paints are highly flammable, think about that when you turn on your kitchen fan or lights, they do create a spark. A respirator is also a must, shortchanging yourself and purchasing a sawdust respirator for paint will only kill you, don't skimp in this area. The point is to have fun, and enjoy what you're doing, not end up with rainbow lungs or poisoned from stupidity!